Found an issue...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ScotiaLass

Guru
I've not been out for a 'proper' ride but I have found a potential issue.
I have arthritis in my spine and neck and the neck is causing a few problems as in I can't look over either shoulder properly due to limited mobility.
I will only be cycling on a short stretch of road before I hit the cycle paths but I'm worried about not being able to check what's behind me.
Would it be stupid to use a bike mirror? Being as I currently use an MTB, I'm guessing the answer is yes!

I am hoping to buy a lighter (possibly hybrid) bike in the New Year.

What's more stupid? Putting a mirror on a bike so you can see traffic approaching from behind or ending up as someones hood ornament? There are some quite subtle mirrors these days!

phil_hg_uk

I am not a member, I am a free man !!!!!!
I've not been out for a 'proper' ride but I have found a potential issue.
I have arthritis in my spine and neck and the neck is causing a few problems as in I can't look over either shoulder properly due to limited mobility.
I will only be cycling on a short stretch of road before I hit the cycle paths but I'm worried about not being able to check what's behind me.
Would it be stupid to use a bike mirror? Being as I currently use an MTB, I'm guessing the answer is yes!

I am hoping to buy a lighter (possibly hybrid) bike in the New Year.

I use a mirror on my road bike as I have limited movement in my shoulder due to having a frozen shoulder in the past to I cant look right round very easily.

sprintech.jpg

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I use a mirror on my touring bike. I use it to monitor what is behind me without having to turn around. But it does not remove the need to shoulder check before pulling out/turning right. So a mirror could be useful for you, but if you cannot turn your head you may need to pull over before turning right so you can look properly, in which case the mirror is probably only limited use.

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
I use a mirror on my road bike as I have limited movement in my shoulder due to having a frozen shoulder in the past to I cant look right round very easily.

sprintech.jpg

Oooh, like! My mirror is far less subtle!
[This isn't mine, but similar, mine is on the right, and easily knocked out of position when getting on/off bike]
2010_03_06_Handlebar_mirror_2_DSC_6933_small.jpg

OP
OP
ScotiaLass

ScotiaLass

Guru
I use a mirror on my touring bike. I use it to monitor what is behind me without having to turn around. But it does not remove the need to shoulder check before pulling out/turning right. So a mirror could be useful for you, but if you cannot turn your head you may need to pull over before turning right so you can look properly, in which case the mirror is probably only limited use.

I can get so far round (probably my chin in line with my shoulder).
The only right turn I would need to do on the road is one where I would be dismounting anyway so I could cross over to go through a cemetery (which avoids the need for cycling down a very steep, narrow road which is extremely busy and I don't feel confident cycling on).

Brandane

Legendary Member
Chin in line with shoulder is better than I can manage (just checked!) and as far as I know, I don't have any mobility problems. Your peripheral vision should then give you a reasonable view of what is behind you.

If you feel that a mirror is an aid to your observations, then why not fit one? Never mind the fashion Police, anything that helps you to stay safe on the road is a bonus.

Last edited:

Spinney

Bimbleur extraordinaire
Chin in line with shoulder sounds reasonable*, can you also twist your torso a little so your shoulders are not pointing straight ahead? That, and looking right out of the corners of your eyes should give you enough rear vision. Twisting a bit while riding without veering/wobbling takes a little practice, though.

BUT, one reason I use a mirror is so that I only need to look when I think the road is clear. i.e. I do not take my eyes far off the road ahead if I know there is something coming up behind. I'm a lot better now, but in the past (before I got the mirror), I would sometimes be startled into a wobble if I looked round and there was something right behind me. You often hear them, but not always on a busy road.

But the main time you need to look behind is when turning right or pulling out around a parked car, and it sounds like you don't do much of this.

But as several have said, even if you only think a mirror might help, go for it.

*Edit: imagine me sitting here twisting my head - I can only get chin in line with shoulder, and I have never thought of myself as having mobility problems

Bryony

Veteran
I also have slight neck issues (falling off horses too much!:rolleyes:) and I can just about get my chin in line with my shoulder and I've always been able to see what's behind me but if you feel safer with a mirror then get one ^_^

Top Bottom