Frame advice in respect of NOTICEABLE difference.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
If you are 5'8" and on a 55cm road bike I would be surprised if a 58cm would fit you well
You do need a bigger frame (longer TT) on a flat bar bike as the bars are further away. My roadbike was fine with drop bars, but much too small once converted to flats, even with 3cm more stem! It now belongs to a friend 4" shorter than me

jay clock

Massive member
ok, had not spotted flat bars. I think the OP is a little confused as he keeps mentioning 18" even though the order makes no mention of that

simongt

Guru
When the pedal crank position is forward, the first few inches of my foot (the bit that is not actually on the pedal) is at the side of the wheel If I am turning at that point, the tyre makes cotact with my foot. This is why I feel that maybe a 20 inch frame would be more suitable if I buy the same model again. (I am 5'8" and my arms are quire long).
If it's your foot contacting the front wheel during a turn, then you need to look at the wheelbase of the bike in question; the longer the wheelbase, the less likely your foot will overlap the front wheel. This tends to be more of an issue with racing style bikes than tourers or MTBs. I have a minor overlap issue with my 23" frame audax bike and that's the biggest frame bike I have - !

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
You'll find that head angle and fork rake/trail play a big part in toe overlap.
Bigger frames are designed for taller people who generally have proportionally bigger feet and so the problem happens across all frame sizes.
Getting a bigger frame than one that currently fits it's owner only causes the rider to be stretched out more than necessary which causes further fit problems.
An aftermarket fork with more rake/trail could maybe help towards solving the issue at the cost of affecting the bikes handling, but honestly, you're better off with a different bike.

ok, had not spotted flat bars. I think the OP is a little confused as he keeps mentioning 18" even though the order makes no mention of that

I agree. I just recall the guy at Rose telling me that I needed an 18". Clearly the receipt states 55cm which according to a Google is 21.65 inches.

I like the bike, and size wise it feels right.

So, even if I got the next size up with the same model I will still have the toe over lap issue with the front wheel?

jay clock

Massive member
Toe overlap is a feature of both my road bikes

It is not a problem at all other than doing sharp u turns at walking pace..

So if I really like my bike, and I want to buy another, do I buy the SAME size or go up from 55cm to 57cm? If a bit larger frame is not going to improve the toe overlap issue then I may as well get another 55cm.

Also, could I make the situation of the fit worse with a 57cm?

vickster

Legendary Member
So if I really like my bike, and I want to buy another, do I buy the SAME size or go up from 55cm to 57cm? If a bit larger frame is not going to improve the toe overlap issue then I may as well get another 55cm.

Also, could I make the situation of the fit worse with a 57cm?
Yes if you are overstretched. I had a bike that was too big, contributed to chronic tennis elbow that eventually needed two operations to resolve!!

You really need to compare the two geometries and note where the differences are. Frame, stem, cranks even

Cycleops

Legendary Member
The 57cm could be ok for you, the limiting factor will be the stand over. You can always fine tune the position with stem and seat adjustment but I'd say it may be a bit too large. If the 55 feels right to you stick with that. The toe overlap won't change.
I think we can forget about the 18" thing, probably due to the german getting his sums wrong.

Last edited:
Vickster-I would compare if I çould but they are ordered online.

What do you mean by "overstretched"? I am missing something here as I can only see being over stretched would apply if bike was too small ie stetching to reach handle bars. Obviously you don't mean that.

Last edited:

vickster

Legendary Member
Vickster-I would compare if I çould but they are ordered online.

What do you mean by "overstretched"? I am missing something here as I can only see being over stretched would apply if bike was too small ie stetching to reach handle bars. Obviously you don't mean that.
You can compare the geometry charts on the website, look there at the bike you are buying, you may need to scroll or click on a tab or two

https://www.rosebikes.co.uk/bike/rose-multiroad-pro-sl-2000-775728/aid:775764

Click on the lines next to components and you get a link to the frame geometry. The bigger frame gets you 6mm more wheelbase only so it’ll make diddly difference I should think to toe overlap

Err no you stretch to reach the bars on a bike that's too big! They are further away thus you will at a minimum lose bend in your elbows which puts more pressure on them

Rather than spending a grand on another bike with toe overlap look at others with a longer wheelbase, like the Whyte R7. You can even try for size at a uk dealer. Your budget should buy the top of the range Stirling, 9kg or less iirc or the one down, the Cambridge

https://www.discountcyclesdirect.co.uk/catalog/product.php?CI_ID=35175&Item='Whyte Stirling 2018 Fast Urban/Commuter Hybrid Bike'

Last edited:
Top Bottom