Frame advice in respect of NOTICEABLE difference.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Banjo

Fuelled with Jelly Babies
Toe overlap is normal on lots of road bikes.Its not a problem above about 3mph just remember to stop pedalling if doing a dead slow uturn or similar.

Getting a bigger frame just to get rid of toe overlap will cause you lots of bike fit issues. Most people 5ft 8 inches tall would ride about a 53 cm road bike frame size.You definitely wouldn't want a 58 cm frame.

vickster

Legendary Member
Toe overlap is normal on lots of road bikes.Its not a problem above about 3mph just remember to stop pedalling if doing a dead slow uturn or similar.

Getting a bigger frame just to get rid of toe overlap will cause you lots of bike fit issues. Most people 5ft 8 inches tall would ride about a 53 cm road bike frame size.You definitely wouldn't want a 58 cm frame.
It's a flatbar as above

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Usually, a bike designed for drop bars will have a shorter top tube than one designed for flat bars.
Whether the bike is a flat bar or drop bar model, if the op considers going for the exact same bike but in a bigger frame size, he/she may very well find it stretched as the top tube will be longer too.

vickster

Legendary Member
Usually, a bike designed for drop bars will have a shorter top tube than one designed for flat bars.
Whether the bike is a flat bar or drop bar model, if the op considers going for the exact same bike but in a bigger frame size, he/she may very well find it stretched as the top tube will be longer too.
Yes that's what I said above. A 53cm TT on a flatbar bike is probably too small for a 5'8 man with long arms as the OP. Indeed it sounds like his 55cm is maybe too small too

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Er...
Frame size is measured in one of three ways depending on the manufacturer.
Centre bottom bracket to top of seat tube.
Centre bottom bracket to centre of top tube where it meets the seat tube.
Or centre bottom bracket to top of top tube where it meets the seat tube.
Top tube length is only ever mentioned in the frame geometry tables if supplied and not used as a frame size when listing as a 'frame size'.

vickster

Legendary Member
Er...
Frame size is measured in one of three ways depending on the manufacturer.
Centre bottom bracket to top of seat tube.
Centre bottom bracket to centre of top tube where it meets the seat tube.
Or centre bottom bracket to top of top tube where it meets the seat tube.
Top tube length is only ever mentioned in the frame geometry tables if supplied and not used as a frame size when listing as a 'frame size'.
Did you check the geometry for the OPs specific bike? I don't understand what you mean to be honest

The OP can check and decide for himself. It appears no one measurement is actually 55cm so Rose seem to just make the numbers up

Attachments

• IMG_0086.PNG
    IMG_0086.PNG
    71.3 KB · Views: 50
Last edited:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Ok...
In replying to Banjo's post, you said
It's a flatbar as above

As I read it, you're implying that a flat bar road bike will be smaller than it's geometry corrected drop bar counterpart. This is not so. I just fail to see any reason to mention whether the op's bike is drop bar or flat bar. The op said he/she is comfortable on his/her current bike with the exception of the toe overlap. If the op is indeed perfectly comfortable on the bike then that would indicate that is indeed the correct size and so getting a bigger bike in an attempt to solve that issue would only cause further issues with fit.
If I read it wrong, then I apologise for the confusion.

vickster

Legendary Member
banjo suggested a 53cm bike would suit the OPs height, that is unlikely if in the OPs words he thinks the 55cm version of new bike he has is a tad too small, whether he only thinks that due to the toe overlap is not clear

I'm out

Guys,you are ALL trying to help me, and I really do appreciate that. It is a big help. I am learning from you and am now thinking in different ways about my options due to this help-thank you.

The bike feels great with the exception of the toe overlap. The toe overlap was the reason why I felt the frame was a tad too small.

There is ONE other thing that I have just thought of ( but this could be due to the the seat post apparently facing the wrong way according to the guy in the workshop)- I seem to slip forward & need to occasionally feel the need to push myself further back on the seat to feel more comfortable. My arms easily accommodate that.

Vickster-thank you for your time & effort providing the links. I will study them.

vickster

Legendary Member
The seatpost faces the wrong way? Do you have a clear, close up photo of bike?

You could add a layback seatpost or put the saddle back on the rails if there's space within the margins

Last edited:

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
Slipping forward is more than likely the result of your saddle pointing nose down. Try levellng it or having it slightly nose up. It's common to think this leads to the nose putting extra pressure on your sensitive bits but it's rarely the case.
The bolt on the saddle clamp should be behind the seatpost when it's fitted correctly. If it's an inline model with two bolts it's easier to mess up.

jay clock

Massive member
Slipping forward is more than likely the result of your saddle pointing nose down. Try levellng it or having it slightly nose up. It's common to think this leads to the nose putting extra pressure on your sensitive bits but it's rarely the case.
The bolt on the saddle clamp should be behind the seatpost when it's fitted correctly. If it's an inline model with two bolts it's easier to mess up.
agreed - it can be a personal thing but my saddles are approx 3mm higher at the front - otherwise I keep slipping fwd

smutchin

Cat 6 Racer
What If I got a duplicate bike that was the same in every aspect except the frame size

No such thing. Frame geometry tends to change with size.

The bike feels great with the exception of the toe overlap. The toe overlap was the reason why I felt the frame was a tad too small.

You'll probably find that a larger frame won't feel so great and might not solve the toe overlap problem either.

Top Bottom