Frame dilemma

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wolfie4560

The bike I use at the moment for general riding is an early Decathlon Triban 5 with 7 speed Nexus hub gears. The frame is aluminium but my dilemma is that I also have an old raleigh reynolds 501 Pioneer frame laying around.

What would be your personal choice in frames for the bike, and why? Aluminium, or Reynolds 501? Weight will obviously be more for the Reynolds but weight isn't my concern. Comfort and rideability is more important. Both frames are in good nick.

Pioneer for me old bean.
Fix that up and you have a nice and more comfortable ride.
In terms of frame material I mean.
A wee pic of the Pioneer would be smashing actually :okay: ^_^

OP
OP
Wolfie4560

Wolfie4560

Pioneer for me old bean.
Fix that up and you have a nice and more comfortable ride.
In terms of frame material I mean.
A wee pic of the Pioneer would be smashing actually :okay: ^_^

$_57 (1).JPG

This is the Pioneer as bought. It's now been stripped and cleaned but needs a new headset. The old one was knackered.

View attachment 146718

This is the Pioneer as bought. It's now been stripped and cleaned but needs a new headset. The old one was knackered.

Nice one Wolfie,that should fix up well.
Yeah,the frame looks in good nick.
Steel is just so much better for soaking up the lumps and bumps.I know this as I currently have an Ally frame.
Saved by a long travel sus fork when the going gets rough.
A steel frame is very much in the mind at the moment,but the lively back end of my ally bike is great fun though. ^_^

raleighnut

Legendary Member
I wouldn't 'fixie' the Raleigh (too hefty, it is a hybrid after all), I'd keep it simple with a 3x7 set up for the winter.

One thing to be aware of is the headset, it may be a strange size that is Raleighs own (they did that to some bikes) my 'Outlander' has one and 1" is too small and 1 1/8" is too big. Good thing is the cups and cones are excellent quality and it's only the bearings/races that get knackered and they can be changed easy peasy (and cheaply)

GuyBoden

Guru
I have an Aluminium 6061 bike and a steel Reynolds 501 bike, amongst others, when I'm riding the Aluminium frame, I feel every lump in the road surface, it vibrates through my hands, I presume that's why most Aluminium frames have Carbon forks that absorb the vibrations.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
I have an Aluminium 6061 bike and a steel Reynolds 501 bike, amongst others, when I'm riding the Aluminium frame, I feel every lump in the road surface, it vibrates through my hands, I presume that's why most Aluminium frames have Carbon forks that absorb the vibrations.
Are they both the same geometry, running the same tyres, tubes and pressures and with the same saddle?

Top Bottom