Frame Dimension Relative Impact

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
I have two frames to be built up, one into a 3 speed hub gear and one a SS/Fixed. They are very similar but not identical and I'm trying to understand the relative impact of each dimension difference. I've measured them for comparison purposes(so if not measured correctly they are measured the same way), results are:-

Top Tube, centre ST to centre HT - 55cm and 57.5cm
ST centre BB to top of ST - 62cm and 60cm
ST centre of BB to top of TT - 60cm and 58cm
HT - 188mm and 170mm
BT - 62cm and 62cm
Chainstay - 45.5cm and 46cm
Seatstay - 58cm and 57cm

So I'm seeing the first frame as higher, shorter top tube and longer head tube, and the reverse for the second frame.

Frame1 - I plan for the 3 speed hub gear backup commuter all round pub/shop bike - thinking is that it will be a bit more upright

Frame2 - planned as SS/Fixed via flip-flop hub - thought longer TT and shorter HT would give a more powerful riding position for all out effort.

Am I right with the above assessments? I appreciate that between, seatposts, saddle rails, stem length/angle and steerer tube spacers, I could probably get them close to identical. Just wondered if either frame was more naturally fit for purpose than the other?

Landslide

Rare Migrant
Sounds like reasonable thinking.
The only question I'd raise is that the first frame has slightly shorter chainstays, an attribute that seems to be associated with "faster" handling.
Of course, my framebuilding experience is approximately the same as Paris Hilton's...

Top Bottom