Frame painting questions

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

The_Cycling_Scientist

Über Member
Another contributing factor may be lighting. once you get it out in daylight you might see it in a whole new way.. give it time to harden and you'll probably come to the decision that you like it without our help! does look nice in my opinion though :smile:

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
Im sure it will grow on me! Im still waiting on the decals.. The company seems useless and have poor communication but i was assured it would be thisweek they are ready im sure once they are on and it is built up it will look better!

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
I still think it looks better than it did in all matte black with Matt decals looked too dark and boring...
image.jpg

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
I think the colour is fine, better than the matt black.
I'd put the decals on and then clear coat over the top, no point in clear coating twice. More weight!
White spirit is a good panel wipe before applying the decals / clear coat, gets rid of the oils picked up by handling the frame.
With the current weather it's no hardship to leave it to harden for a while!

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
The matt black was horrid looks like the lad did it himself too or payed the frame repairer to do it cheaply, ive got images of how it was beforehand ect but a rock cought the downtube when out on a ride so he got it repaired and that took alot of the paint off the down tube so it really did need a full re paint, just wish he went with original spec! I couod of kade it easy and made it into one of the older models but i didnt like the look of the decals! And if i went custom i think it might have made it look stupid

bianchi1

Guru
How come the cable routing out of the chain stay is different in yours than in the 2014 stock photos? Was this part of the original owners fix?

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
Just noticed thay myself actually compared to other photos's ive had a look and it is routed to to near the dropout as well. the hole has one of the plugs to plug it over for the futureproof cable thing anyway if i didnt want to use it. the previous owner did mention something about the frame being modified for some electric groupset battery, cant remember what it was he said but ive got all the recipts and stuff for the bike and the work carried out by a local place so im not worried about it.

OP
OP
jack smith

jack smith

Veteran
Bought a darker grey think this looks closer
image.jpg
image.jpg
image.jpg

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 20

Tom B

Guru
I think a week is ott isnt it? The can says ready to be used outside after 12 and im giving it more than 24 its not proper proffessional stuff

Paint dries to the touch, then cures ovr a week or two depending on the paint.

In the drying phase the solvent carrier used to distribute or carry the colours, resid and solids evaporates, then over the next period the surface of the paint oxidizes and hardens.

If you have ever glossed a Windows sill you will notice this as after a day or two the paint is dry, but if you tap it with your fingernails it doesnt take on that plastic hardness for weeks. Gloss is pretty high build so demonstrates this well.

So paints , hammerite used to be one have got to be re-coated between two and twenty-four hours or left a month because of this. Failure to so leads to all sorts of issues. A local authority in the north of England some years ago installed some railings around a prestigious park, they thought painting the railings would be a good job for the painting apprentices, Hammerite was the weapon of choice. The apprentices started at one end of the park and over the week went around the perimeter. Anxious to do a good job the following week they commences a second lap for the second coat. The paitn shriveled dragged peeled and generally looked abysmal. In the end the metal work and ground work apprentices got more experience taking the fence down again for it to be dipped. This was purely down to the second coat being applied during the "no re-coat" period.

Last edited:
Top Bottom