Frame protection for my new bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
are you seriously going to ride this beast during the winter
The amount of salt that is going to get into your bits...even cruds will not save them
Roadies with cruds look strange - impressed that you got the rear one on though - might look at putting them on my eddy merckx
Well, I took an enforced Winter break from commuting last year - frankly I'm not daft though, and when it's icy underfoot (or rather undertyre!) then I'll probably take the car. Plan B is a hybrid with snow tyres but thats a whole other thread!!

Anyway, it can be like Winter here 9 months of the year... the Cruds don't look bad at all IMHO, and will keep me and my bits drier than had I not fitted them. I'll be especially diligent with the post-ride cleaning and weekly maintenance when then salt goes down on the roads, assuming of course that my wife hasn't insisted I start taking the car by then :whistle:

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Did you put some tape on the forks and seat stays where the cruds fix to the frame? If not then this is essential. Also, check under the fork crown and the brake bridge at the rear to see if the guards get close to the frame (either straight on or on the sides) and if they're close, within a mm or two, then put some tape there as well. Cruds are great, but they can make a mess of a good frame.
Yes thanks, I did... the bike should fly with the amount of helicopter tape on it :rofl:

jakeagusta

Just be mindful when the time comes to remove the tape, it may take some of the graphics with it. I found this out on my previous bike after trying to remove the Helicopter tape.

jakeagusta

Not sad at all - having a set cleaning/maintenance routine is essential I reckon, especially if you're putting miles on the bike in all conditions... just not sure I'd go for a full clean, wax and lube after every ride though LOL!

Check out ACF50. Keeps a new bike looking new regardless of the weather.

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Gawd! I wish I had seen this thread about two months ago! I have the same bike as the OP, and I have just discovered that the cable has worn the paint away at the bottom of the head tube! Bugger and bum!

Nocode

Gawd! I wish I had seen this thread about two months ago! I have the same bike as the OP, and I have just discovered that the cable has worn the paint away at the bottom of the head tube! Bugger and bum!
Even though I had read this thread I was 2-3 weeks too late with my Madone 2.1. There was scratch/rub marks from the front brake cables in a short space of time, doh!

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
Even though I had read this thread I was 2-3 weeks too late with my Madone 2.1. There was scratch/rub marks from the front brake cables in a short space of time, doh!

It's a bugger, it managed to hack me right of the this morning, I have noticed an even worse mark on my wife's 3.1.

Just finished fitting the mudguards and applying some protective tape in readiness for a first run on the Trek tomorrow morning (fingers crossed) :wahhey:

Frankly, I'm really impressed with the Crud Roadracers mkII – having watched the Crud videos, I thought they'd be a bit more of a faff to fit than they were... a bit fiddly, yes, but not difficult. They're very light weight, don't rub, sit straight and look like they should do a good job keeping my bum and feet dry :whistle:

View attachment 12677

View attachment 12678

Others may well argue differently, but I don't think they detract from the look of the bike too much either. All in, well worth it I reckon :thumbsup:

Is that a solid oak Howdens kitchen ?

EltonFrog

Legendary Member
so where do you actually fit this tape ?? as id hate for my bike to get the paint rubbed off even if i only paid £380 for it i like to take care of my stuff.

Depends on the tape, but I'm putting where the cables rub agianst the frame.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Is that a solid oak Howdens kitchen ?
No, it's Burbidge (Landsdowne Maple) if you must know. Knocked the wall down between our kitchen and dining room and had the kitchen re-fitted 3 yrs ago now. Best thing we've done to the house so far.... I'm thinking about adding a "bike room" though :whistle:

No, it's Burbidge (Landsdowne Maple) if you must know. Knocked the wall down between our kitchen and dining room and had the kitchen re-fitted 3 yrs ago now. Best thing we've done to the house so far.... I'm thinking about adding a "bike room" though :whistle:

I am a joiner (By trade) see , fitted my kitchen a few years ago and yours looks a dead ringer for the one I fit.
How many bikes do you need for a bike room ??

Top Bottom