Frame protection for my new bike?

mrmacmusic

Über Member
I picked up my shiny new bike tonight, and I'm well chuffed :wahhey:

Can anyone recommend any particular clear protective tape products (or similar) to prevent damage from cable rubbing, and perhaps stone-chips too? The LBS did give me some black sticky pads, but I think they'll spoil the look a bit, plus a relatively thick adhesive strip for under the down tube, which even though I'll not really be able to see it down there, I don't like the textured feel and the fact it's not totally clear..... Any suggestions? Would standard clear sign-makers vinyl do the job?

Silly related question: is polishing one's shiny carbon-framed bike a good idea, and if so what polish is advisable – Mer? Autoglym? Mr Sheen? (LOL!) I've never had a carbon bike before (or as expensive a bike either for that matter), and as I intend to commute daily on it as I have with my Flight, I'd like to keep on top of keeping it looking smart. A layer of protection initially seems like a sensible idea :smile:

madone.jpg

Ian H

I am an ancient randonneur, & I often stop for tea
I suggest cotton-wool. ;)

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
For protecting against cable rub you can get outer cable frame protectors that are basically soft rubber bits that clip on the cables: -

1314369737-19734500.jpg

I have them on my hybrid and they seem to work. They look better than stickers IMHO too :smile:

GrasB

Veteran
Another vote for Polyurethane (Helicopter) tape. Get a roll of 3M tape, yes it's more expensive than other brands but it also seems to be harder wearing.

OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Über Member
Thanks everyone – love the idea of cotton wool, and hanging it on the wall. Preferably with some form of feature lighting :laugh:

However the bike is going to be ridden! Crud Roadracers are being picked up on my way home tonight Moodyman, and Helicopter Tape sounds ideal :thumbsup:

OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Über Member
For protecting against cable rub you can get outer cable frame protectors that are basically soft rubber bits that clip on the cables. I have them on my hybrid and they seem to work. They look better than stickers IMHO too :smile:
Cheers mcshroom :thumbsup: Hadn't seen those before – they look like an excellent solution for eliminating cable rub.

Top Bottom