Frame protection for my new bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

vickster

Legendary Member
Sounds like you're making a load of fuss over nothing to me. Or are you trying to conserve its retail value so you can sell it in 8 months' time to make way for something even more unnecessary??

Another attempt at being 'ironic' or a touch of the green eyed monster?

I've never worried about frame protection and I probably will sell in 8 months time to make way for something even more unnecessary :whistle: Interesting topic though

Cubist

Still wavin'
I use it where cables rub, where bare cables can clatter under the top tube, bottom of the down tube, rear of the seat tube and on the chainstay. Make sure you get everything dust and grease free and use a hairdryer to warm it as you apply it, so that it smooths on nicely. Don't rush it.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran

I've never worried about frame protection and I probably will sell in 8 months time to make way for something even more unnecessary :whistle: Interesting topic though
Thanks vickster (and for your input in my other threads :thumbsup:) – that previous post rattled me a bit. Irony? Jealousy? Hard to tell in the written word, but I no-one bears a grudge against me just because I now own what is quite an expensive bike....

Everyone is always so helpful on this forum, and I was just wanting some advice about protection, so I'm glad you found the post interesting. I think my unnecessary bike is worth keeping in the best shape possible.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I use it where cables rub, where bare cables can clatter under the top tube, bottom of the down tube, rear of the seat tube and on the chainstay. Make sure you get everything dust and grease free and use a hairdryer to warm it as you apply it, so that it smooths on nicely. Don't rush it.
Thanks Cubist – it sound like it should be treated a bit like applying sign-makers vinyl, with a bit of heat helping the adhesion around contours and curves. I shall ensure that the areas are dust and grease free :thumbsup:

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
From what I understand it took over 2 years to get to that state but the forks can't be more than 3 years old.
I definitely don't want the Trek to look like that in 2 years time, especially if spending a few pounds on some common sense protective tape etc. will prevent it!

GrasB

Veteran
Just remember to check the tape on a semi-regular basis. The tape will wear over time but replacing a few patches of tape is a lot cheaper than replacing a frame (or forks in that case)

Zakalwe

I dread to think what cyclist33 rides on, I'd imagine I probably spend more on replacing 11 speed Campy chains.

DougieAB

Getting the messages
Get the helicopter tape in place pronto as I didn't notice the damage the cables were doing to my paintwork until it was too late. Tape is generally clear so you can still see any marks on the paintwork after it has been applied.

Cyclist33

Neither - just trolling - although I've hardly ever seen a carbon bike last longer in one careful owner's hands than the time it takes for next season's bikes to hit the shelves.

Stu

Top Bottom