Frame protection for my new bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I use the auto glym stuff for the plastics and rubber on the car
...not the resin (paintwork) polish then? Sorry to all if I'm sounding a bit daft here – I just don't want to ruin the finish by using the wrong cleaning/protective products.

Zakalwe

After a good wipe down of the frame I go over it with Glade - deadly serious. Leaves a nice anti static silicone coating on it. Don't get any on the components mind, spray onto a cloth rather than the frame, then wipe down.

Cyclist33

Sounds like you're making a load of fuss over nothing to me. Or are you trying to conserve its retail value so you can sell it in 8 months' time to make way for something even more unnecessary??

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Sounds like you're making a load of fuss over nothing to me. Or are you trying to conserve its retail value so you can sell it in 8 months' time to make way for something even more unnecessary??
Not sure what you mean by unnecessary...? :huh:

I just know that on my Flight where the brake/gear cables rub against the frame at the head tube, it's worn through to the aluminium – I just wanted to try and prevent this happening on the Trek. Nothing wrong with that surely?

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
The soft rubber bits pick up grit and muck and rubs it up and down the paint, protect the frame not the cable.

The hybrid has over 2000km on the clock, mainly riding around sandy muddy lanes in winter. There is no scratching of the frame, nor is there any grit in the rubber.

nathanicola

Avoid using car polish just stick to using wax, if like me you like to keep your bike proper OCD clean then i would recomend cleaning the running gear with muck off then every thing else with Maguires wash and wax then after its dry i use Maguires quick wax, just spray on and wipe off then some dry lube on the running gear to finish off. Sad init.

Basil.B

Guru
Helicopter tape, won't that damage the paint underneath?
Best just to leave the frame as it is, not cover it in tape!
Just my opinion mind.
Nice bike! :thumbsup:

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Avoid using car polish just stick to using wax, if like me you like to keep your bike proper OCD clean then i would recomend cleaning the running gear with muck off then every thing else with Maguires wash and wax then after its dry i use Maguires quick wax, just spray on and wipe off then some dry lube on the running gear to finish off. Sad init.
Not sad at all - having a set cleaning/maintenance routine is essential I reckon, especially if you're putting miles on the bike in all conditions... just not sure I'd go for a full clean, wax and lube after every ride though LOL!

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I would hope that the tape shouldn't do any damage... The frame already has a (factory fit) clear protective tape on the chainstay - I'm guessing helicopter tape is similar, if not the same stuff.

I'm not planning on covering it in tape, and was only going to put a few strips in the appropriate places to avoid cable rub damage, as well as under the bottom tube to stop stone chips.

Thank you... I'm one very happy and grateful chappie :biggrin:

GrasB

Veteran
Just my opinion mind.
This is what cables can do to carbon fibre & aluminium (the aluminium crown is also worn away!)
cable-rub-jpg.11381.jpg

Top Bottom