Frame protection for my new bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
I think he means that people who buy carbon sell it on within a season to buy the next. Not that it breaks within a season.

Christopher

Über Member
Has the OP though to protect the chainstay from chainslap with something like a neoprene sleeve? That is assuming the bike didn't come with such a thing. I've had bad paint chips from this, something you don't want on carbon.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Has the OP though to protect the chainstay from chainslap with something like a neoprene sleeve? That is assuming the bike didn't come with such a thing. I've had bad paint chips from this, something you don't want on carbon.
Yes Christopher – it's already got a generous factory-fit clear protective tape over the chainstay (probably helicopter tape or something very similar) :thumbsup:

Nocode

Very interesting thread. I must admit I've never considered putting anything like helicopter tape on my bike frame before!

Stupid question I'm sure - but what's the point? Is it for re-sell purposes (to preserve the bike), to preserve the aesthetics for personal satisfication, or to prevent some form of technical failure with the bike? If the latter, does it really matter though if the manufacturer provides a life-time warranty on the frame anyway?

I ask just because I'm due to get my first road bike through the C2W scheme and although it's not going to be a lot of money in road bike terms (£1000) it's going to be the most expensive bike I've ever purchased (eeek!) and I'm going to be using it for my commute. Should I be considering this, or more hassle than it's worth?

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!
Very interesting thread. I must admit I've never considered putting anything like helicopter tape on my bike frame before!

Stupid question I'm sure - but what's the point? Is it for re-sell purposes (to preserve the bike), to preserve the aesthetics for personal satisfication, or to prevent some form of technical failure with the bike? If the latter, does it really matter though if the manufacturer provides a life-time warranty on the frame anyway?

I ask just because I'm due to get my first road bike through the C2W scheme and although it's not going to be a lot of money in road bike terms (£1000) it's going to be the most expensive bike I've ever purchased (eeek!) and I'm going to be using it for my commute. Should I be considering this, or more hassle than it's worth?

Read it then! It will give you the answer to your questions! Hint: Have a look at the picture GrasB's posted!

How much hassle can sticking a strip of tape down actually be?

Nocode

Read it then! It will give you the answer to your questions! Hint: Have a look at the picture GrasB's posted!

How much hassle can sticking a strip of tape down actually be?

Ah, ok fair enough - so basically to prevent cable rub and preserve aesthetics.

Yes, I guess putting the odd bit of helicopter tape down in strategic places wouldn't be much hassle - but I personally wouldn't want to wrap the entire frame!

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
A

As Rob3rt has pointed out above, it's all in the previous few pages ;)

To recap though.... rubbing from brake and gear cables (particularly around the head tube), will cause scratches. Over time though, the friction will result in the paint finish wearing through to the base material, be it aluminium or carbon. Will this cause technical failure? I doubt it. If it did though, I suspect the manufacturer wouldn't honour a lifetime warranty replacement since technically it's "wear and tear" (literally), not failure. IMHO.

Rob3rt

Man or Moose!

Yes, I guess putting the odd bit of helicopter tape down in strategic places wouldn't be much hassle - but I personally wouldn't want to wrap the entire frame!

Look's like you didn't get the point, it is not just to protect aesthetics, while short term, this is a bonus, it is, in the long term to prevent the cable slowly but surely wearing away the carbon or aluminium causing structural damage.

Will this cause technical failure? I doubt it.

I wouldn't count on that, given the likely shape of the wear pattern it could induce a stress point from which a crack may propagate, this is a problem for both carbon and aluminium. More exclusively with carbon it would cause it to begin to fray and moisture etc can get inside and eventually cause de-lamination and failure.

I couldn't give two hoots about a little bit of a scuff here and there, some marking is inevitable on a bike that is well used. Not saying I wouldn't be upset by large crash induced scrapes etc though.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Essentially yes... we cross posted :blush:

I'm not planning on wrapping the entire frame, just the important bits as mentioned before – e.g. where cables rub, and under the bottom tube (prone to stone chips). Most bikes will come with some form of chainstay protector, and my Trek already has clear tape on it :thumbsup:

Zakalwe

Manufacturers warranties won't cover you for something like this, You can't really claim its the fault of the frame builder that the cable has rubbed through the frame when there's several ways to prevent it happening to your bike. Even if they did, would you want the hassle of sending t back to their factory, waiting for a verdict then getting whatever frame they decide to give you as they stopped making the one you had before, stripping the old parts off, putting them back on...

Warranties cover flaws in design and materials, not neglect and crash damage.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I wouldn't count on that, given the likely shape of the wear pattern it could induce a stress point from which a crack may propagate, this is a problem for both carbon and aluminium. More exclusively with carbon it would cause it to begin to fray and moisture etc can get inside and eventually cause de-lamination and failure.
Good point – glad I'm sensibly planning on preventing the wear in the first place then :smile:

I couldn't give two hoots about a little bit of a scuff here and there, some marking is inevitable on a bike that is well used. not saying I wouldn't be upset by large crash induced scrapes etc though.
Agreed... it's going to get scuffs here and there, but I hope to goodness I don't go and crash it :eek:

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
You only need protection on the chain stay (obvious) and head tube mainly or there abouts where cables touch the frame. Wouldn't bother on underside of downtube.

I've been doing this for years ! - It's nothing new. I use electrical tape !

Cubist

Still wavin'
I do the down tube and rear of the seat tube on mtbs, as I never use mudguards on them. My old Cube frame has a lot of rub marks on the both chain and seat stays.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
I do the down tube and rear of the seat tube on mtbs, as I never use mudguards on them. My old Cube frame has a lot of rub marks on the both chain and seat stays.

MTB's are a little different - bigger rocks to deal with, though not too sure as the roads aren't great these days ! OP has a new road bike and I wouldn't bother.

Top Bottom