Frame protection for my new bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
MTB's are a little different - bigger rocks to deal with, though not too sure as the roads aren't great these days ! OP has a new road bike and I wouldn't bother.
They are shocking in places around here... still, I'll be floating on air when I'm riding the Trek anyway, so that should help :rofl:

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
...OP has a new road bike and I wouldn't bother.
Strangely the down tube was one place the LBS suggested was worth protecting as it sees a lot of spray from the front tyre, and being carbon it was more prone to chipping (don't know if that's true or not?). I'll be fitting the Cruds anyway, so tape on the underside of the down tube is the 'belts and braces' approach to keeping it chip free.

Zakalwe

It's the paint that chips, regardless of what it's got underneath. It's rare a rock gets flicked straight up into the down tube by a slick tyre anyway, usually they're pinged out to the side - you'd have to somehow ride straight over it, grip it with the rubber in some way then release it into the frame. Knobblyies get all sorts stuck the the tread which is dispersed at random.

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Strangely the down tube was one place the LBS suggested was worth protecting as it sees a lot of spray from the front tyre, and being carbon it was more prone to chipping (don't know if that's true or not?). I'll be fitting the Cruds anyway, so tape on the underside of the down tube is the 'belts and braces' approach to keeping it chip free.

A Madone and cruds :wacko: I've got a couple of 20 plus year old bikes, yes a couple of chips here and there but down tubes aren't an area you need to worry about. Just wrap the thing in cotton wool if you are. Sorted.

I can guarantee you'll either drop the bike (i.e. not whilst riding it, just 'moving it'), or scratch it with a tool, before you get a road chip. Just protect where there are cables, that's all.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
A Madone and cruds :wacko: I've got a couple of 20 plus year old bikes, yes a couple of chips here and there but down tubes aren't an area you need to worry about. Just wrap the thing in cotton wool if you are. Sorted.
I don't see anything wrong with fitting Cruds (Roadracers mkII) so I don't get soaked – it rains a lot here in Central Scotland you know, especially when I'm cycling back and forward to work.... :laugh: Cotton wool would just look silly.

potsy

Rambler
When I bought my first bike in 2009 I didn't know anything about cable rub or the like, wish I had :blush:
It's so badly scratched now though it's more bare metal than paint :laugh:

Anyway, can I be the first to show Mr mac's bike with it's protection :whistle:
bubble wrapped.jpg

GrasB

Veteran
Ah, ok fair enough - so basically to prevent cable rub and preserve aesthetics.
In extreme cases (like the one I posted earlier in the thread) the damage is sever enough that the item, in this case some forks, became structurally suspect. Look at that fork & tell me you'd be happy to ride on it like that!

D

Deleted member 20519

For protecting against cable rub you can get outer cable frame protectors that are basically soft rubber bits that clip on the cables: -

1314369737-19734500.jpg

I have them on my hybrid and they seem to work. They look better than stickers IMHO too :smile:

I have them, they still scratch my frame and leave black rubber marks.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Just finished fitting the mudguards and applying some protective tape in readiness for a first run on the Trek tomorrow morning (fingers crossed) :wahhey:

Frankly, I'm really impressed with the Crud Roadracers mkII – having watched the Crud videos, I thought they'd be a bit more of a faff to fit than they were... a bit fiddly, yes, but not difficult. They're very light weight, don't rub, sit straight and look like they should do a good job keeping my bum and feet dry :whistle:

crud_front.jpg

crud_rear.jpg

Others may well argue differently, but I don't think they detract from the look of the bike too much either. All in, well worth it I reckon :thumbsup:

moxey

which tape did you go with in the end ? Cant see it on the pics.
I'm waiting for my Ribble R872 (stealth) to be built and was thinking of those rubber protectors till I've read this thread
Nice looking bike by the way

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
which tape did you go with in the end ? Cant see it on the pics.
I'm waiting for my Ribble R872 (stealth) to be built and was thinking of those rubber protectors till I've read this thread
Nice looking bike by the way
Thanks moxey! I just bought 2m of 3M Helicopter Tape via eBay - quite thick, but easy to apply and pretty much invisible once fitted :thumbsup:

baldycyclist

Über Member
are you seriously going to ride this beast during the winter
The amount of salt that is going to get into your bits...even cruds will not save them
Roadies with cruds look strange - impressed that you got the rear one on though - might look at putting them on my eddy merckx

amaferanga

Veteran
Just finished fitting the mudguards and applying some protective tape in readiness for a first run on the Trek tomorrow morning (fingers crossed) :wahhey:

Did you put some tape on the forks and seat stays where the cruds fix to the frame? If not then this is essential. Also, check under the fork crown and the brake bridge at the rear to see if the guards get close to the frame (either straight on or on the sides) and if they're close, within a mm or two, then put some tape there as well. Cruds are great, but they can make a mess of a good frame.

Top Bottom