Frame protection for my new bike?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mrmacmusic

Veteran
I picked up my shiny new bike tonight, and I'm well chuffed :wahhey:

Can anyone recommend any particular clear protective tape products (or similar) to prevent damage from cable rubbing, and perhaps stone-chips too? The LBS did give me some black sticky pads, but I think they'll spoil the look a bit, plus a relatively thick adhesive strip for under the down tube, which even though I'll not really be able to see it down there, I don't like the textured feel and the fact it's not totally clear..... Any suggestions? Would standard clear sign-makers vinyl do the job?

Silly related question: is polishing one's shiny carbon-framed bike a good idea, and if so what polish is advisable – Mer? Autoglym? Mr Sheen? (LOL!) I've never had a carbon bike before (or as expensive a bike either for that matter), and as I intend to commute daily on it as I have with my Flight, I'd like to keep on top of keeping it looking smart. A layer of protection initially seems like a sensible idea :smile:

madone.jpg

Ian H

Ancient randonneur
I suggest cotton-wool. ;)

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
For protecting against cable rub you can get outer cable frame protectors that are basically soft rubber bits that clip on the cables: -

1314369737-19734500.jpg

I have them on my hybrid and they seem to work. They look better than stickers IMHO too :smile:

GrasB

Veteran
Another vote for Polyurethane (Helicopter) tape. Get a roll of 3M tape, yes it's more expensive than other brands but it also seems to be harder wearing.

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
Thanks everyone – love the idea of cotton wool, and hanging it on the wall. Preferably with some form of feature lighting :laugh:

However the bike is going to be ridden! Crud Roadracers are being picked up on my way home tonight Moodyman, and Helicopter Tape sounds ideal :thumbsup:

OP
OP
mrmacmusic

mrmacmusic

Veteran
For protecting against cable rub you can get outer cable frame protectors that are basically soft rubber bits that clip on the cables. I have them on my hybrid and they seem to work. They look better than stickers IMHO too :smile:
Cheers mcshroom :thumbsup: Hadn't seen those before – they look like an excellent solution for eliminating cable rub.

screenman

Legendary Member
The soft rubber bits pick up grit and muck and rubs it up and down the paint, protect the frame not the cable.

Top Bottom