Frame Protectors on Ti Frames ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

02GF74

Über Member
doesn't matter what the material is, over time the cables will move and rub the surface underneath, if it is painted,the paint will wear away, on raw titianium where there is no paint, the area will get worn too so will look different to the area around it.

small clear protectors stuck in the correct place weigh next to nothig, are hardly noticeable so I would used them - keeps the frame unmarked.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yes. Ti frames do actually mark quite easy. I haven't got any protection on mine and you can see quite clearly where they have rubbed. Good thing is though you can rub it clear with an emery cloth.

compo

Veteran
On my black bike I just use a couple of layers of black insulating tape stuck to the frame under the cable. It is virtually invisible. In 18 months the tape hasn't worn through or began to lift away so it can stay as it is until it does. After that I will probably get some helicopter tape.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
On my black bike I just use a couple of layers of black insulating tape stuck to the frame under the cable. It is virtually invisible. In 18 months the tape hasn't worn through or began to lift away so it can stay as it is until it does. After that I will probably get some helicopter tape.

And on the even cheaper end of the scale. On my commuter bike. Selotape has served me well.

As usual, I'm late to the discussion. (I don't get here on a daily basis!)
Depends on your definition of 'necessary'. If you want to keep your bike pristine, then maybe. But is it 'necessary' to keep the bike pristine? You have been around bikes long enough to know they are for riding, not looking like they should be in a showroom!
Cables are not going to cause any damage to a ti frame. And as our TBM says, they can easily be cleaned up. One of the bonus joys I've discovered of having ti is the complete ease of cleaning.

Top Bottom