Frame re spacing

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

booze and cake

probably out cycling
I know that booze and cake did it recently on his Eddy Merckx frame he must have nerves of steel, l would be a total wreck if l tried it on something as pricy as that :hyper:

^_^ I absolutely did'nt trust myself to do it and would indeed have been a nervous wreck. I did'nt have a clue about checking and resolving any alignment issues so I asked around and got a recommendation for a local bike shop that did it for £20-30.

OP
OP
woodbutcher

woodbutcher

Veteran
^_^ I absolutely did'nt trust myself to do it and would indeed have been a nervous wreck. I did'nt have a clue about checking and resolving any alignment issues so I asked around and got a recommendation for a local bike shop that did it for £20-30.
Very wise, and considering what might have gone wrong if you tried it yourself and the worst happened :banghead:
I am tempted to chicken out completely and just buy a frame with 130mm spacing in fact l just saw this , it may not be anything special but it might do for the time being !https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Veneto-C...e=STRK:MEBIDX:IT&_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649

chriscross1966

Über Member
I've just spread a Brompton rear triangle from 115 to 130, and barring a bit of fettling to get the dropouts square it was all pretty easy. It shouldn't be too hard on your old-fashioned penny-penny...

Ajax Bay

Guru
general question about re-spacing a steel frame. Are there likely to be any problems when stretching a steel frame from 120mm to 130mm
I've just spread a Brompton rear triangle from 115 to 130, and barring a bit of fettling to get the dropouts square it was all pretty easy. It shouldn't be too hard
May I counsel the OP to scan some of @chriscross1966 's 'activities' threads to put "pretty easy" and "shouldn't be too hard" into context (of his advanced fettling/bodging skills and ambition).

chriscross1966

Über Member
The method I adopted on the Brompton was to use a piece of threaded rod with some 15mm thick 10ID x 30mmOD plates . One pair was bolted up tight around the DS dropout, the other pair were free to slide on the threaded bar but were screwed togehter by an 8mm allen screw that went through in the slot on the NDS. The triangle was held in a vice at the chainstay bridge and the dropouts spread by screwing a nut along the threaded bar into the sliding set of plates. Both sides seemed to move equally, there was about 20mm of spring-back in the system so to achieve 130mm OLN I had to spread to 150mm and then release it back. Due to the flexing of the threaded bar the dropouts didn't stay quite parallel, but it was very easy to bend them back into line again.

Top Bottom