Frame Repair

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

twentysix by twentyfive

Clinging on tightly
My pal has an Aluminium frame which has some cracking around the seat tube where the external clamp forces the frame tube to clamp the seat post. The cracks (each side of the slot which permits some flex) are apparent on the inside of the tube as well as the outside and the metal does flex. Has anyone any experience or knowledge that might suggest that these cracks can be repaired? It's only a matter of time until the cracks lengthen and the whole lot is a disaster. Can these be Al welded and the tube machined (inside and out) so that the seat post and clamp will fit properly again? If so likely cost? Or linky to a webby site please.

TIA

Oh - I really am asking for a friend :okay:

Ajax Bay

Guru
Best of luck ( to your pal) on a repair attempt. Can't immediately envisage the forces that would result in these cracks propagating (further).
Caused by trying to tighten (with some persistence) on a smaller diameter seat post than needed, perhaps.

Do you know what aluminium the frame is made from ?
I have a Carrera Vulcan which was scrapped . It had saw cuts in it and had a couple of splits in the head tube . I welded the split and saw cut up using a mig welder . I have ridden the bike for a while but one of the splits in the head tube has opened up again and another split has now appeared . The saw cut has held .I will try to weld it again but it may be that the aluminium has aged and will continue to split .

Top Bottom