frame size

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

muss

Hi all, noob here, looks like a great forum, hope this question is in the right place.

My current frame is 21" from the top of the down tube to the centre of the bottom bracket and Im happy with that. The new bike Im thinking of comes In 20.5" or 22" Im looking for comfort of ride rather than sporty/aggresive. Its a pretty pricey bike so I wanna get it right. Any advice will be appreciated, my two wheeled chums. ;)

Bike is here..

click me

Mortiroloboy

Go for the slightly smaller frame, you can compensate by bringing the seat post up a fraction and make any adjustments to the top tube length by changing your stem.

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
As a MTBer i would always suggest going for a MTB in the smaller size, BUT as someone who also rides roadbikes i would suggest you get as big as is comfortable. i know that doesn't help much...

I would find one and try it for size. 850 is a lot of money to splurge to find you bought the wrong size.

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
A half inch either way on the seat tube is not going to make any difference, much more important is to make sure the top tube is the right length. You don't want to have to use a either very long or an ultra short stem to make up for getting the wrong size there as the handling will feel pretty awful.

BTW, are we talking about a compact frame here or one with conventional geometry?

simoncc

I'd try both and then decide. The smaller frame will most probably be best. Top tubes can sometimes be too long for comfort, especially if combined with a long stem, but shorter stems are available and there are also adjustable stems that move the handlebars up and towards the rider for a more relaxed riding position if that's what you want.

OP
OP
M

muss

Cheers folks, gonna plump for the smaller one. Test ride isn't possible as its an online purchase, but Im sure it will be fine.

Monty Dog

The critical dimension is reach - how does the top tube length compare to your existing bike? The bigger frame could be too long in comparison - there can be a significant difference between different makes and models - 3-4 cm can make a huge difference between your knees hitting the bars or stretched-out discomfort.

Hasn't Marin got odd sizing anyway? Sure I remember a post on the mountain bike forum saying that it's different from others, but I might be wrong and got it mixed up...

No way I would spend that amount of money without trying it, but maybe that's just me ;)

Steve Austin

The Marmalade Kid
Its quite funny folk buying bikes without trying them for size. Nobody buys shoes without trying them and they cost pennies compared to bikes.

Top Bottom