Frame types Aluminium vs Carbon Fibre

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Globalti

Legendary Member
I have had ali bikes, steel bikes and now I have a carbon road bike and a titanium MTB.

I like steel for the feel of the ride. I love carbon for the light weight and the incredible comfort - there is no doubt that after 48 miles on worn top-dressed country roads I am considerably less tired on the carbon bike than I was on my Columbus SLX steel bike. I like titanium for the smooth ride off road but I'm not sure I'd want it for a road bike.

But I will NEVER have another ali bike, they are hatefully stiff and unforgiving.

lukesdad

I have all of the above in one form or other, and, they all have their + s & - s, my road race bike is ali for exactly the same reasons Globalti hates. Its twitchy its harsh and its fast. My XC race bike is Carbon for completly different reasons. Neither were cheap and, you are going to pay for quality. You buy a frame that suits you and your needs.

Big John

Guru
I like the feel of my carbon bike but to be fair it's the second one I've had (first one snapped when the rear mech caught in the back wheel) and even this one has a crack in it which I repaired myself following a training crash.

Would I buy another? Tough question. They're light, sure. They're comfortable, sure. Are they better than aluminium? The debate rages on I'm sure.

If you plan to race then personally I'd stick to aluminium, for what it's worth.

redddraggon

Blondie
Frame materials threads always end up full of ignorance. People always seem to seem to speak the same old bollocks.

1. Where does the assumption that a CFRP is automatically comfortable, and a Al alloy frame uncomfortable come from? Because those absolutes are rubbish.

2. Youngs moduli of some CFRPs might be higher than Al alloys, but that does not necessarily translate to a stiffer frame.

3. If the ride is feeling "harsh", you have the tyre pressures too high.

FWIW I've found my Alloy frames more comfortable than the CFRP frames I've had, and my current Ti frame feels stiffer than the last CFRP frame.

Tony Martin

iendicott said:
Being looking at seriously splashing out on a road bike through work lately. I have about £1K to spend and I can afford either a Carbon Fibre or Aluminium frame.

I have been reading a few horror stories where people seem to say you can not repair CF and that it is brittle but I always thought CF was a very strong material. I have also seen that some aluminium cycles are a few grams lighter than a carbon fibre cycle.

In the interest of getting a wide opinion on both frame materials which would you go for and why ? Exclusivity is not an issue, just good pratical advise on the benefits of both or either please.

Thinking about running doing to amateur road racing and weekends out covering 50-60 miles.
Iv'e just built a bike using a Argon18 Radon frame. This is a Aluminium job with carbon seat and chain stays. It's light and really rides well over rough roads. It comes with carbon forks and costs 695 quid. Take a look at the attachment and judge for yourself. Oh by the way, I chose aluminium because the bike could get bashed about and I didn't want a fatal failure as opposed to a dent.

Top Bottom