Frameset recommendations - 1 very light and one with rack and mudguard bosses please under £400

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Hi, as title really.

Not really fussed about brand or colour. It's a toss up between which one I'll go for and if honest my preference is to get one with bosses to turn into a tourer. And if I go for that I'd prefer one disc compatible as it just makes more sense when carrying 20KG - big ask I know!

Any recommendations greatly received, thanks

vickster

Legendary Member

Last edited:

Drago

Legendary Member
What are we talking here? Day touring? lejog? A gentle week in the peaks? Off road or adventure touring? Or is a bike with touring attributes required for commuting? Some idea of the intended use would be helpful, then we can give some meaningful advice.

gaijintendo

Veteran

The Kaffenback was £125 just a week ago, and I almost bought a third! (Commuter, tourer and...something to hold a spare wheel set?).

But for £400 you could grab a Surly frame, which you could probably have mudguards on your mudguards and racks on every vertical tube. Tredz seem to have a range and stock floating that price point.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
You might be a bit light at £400 for a Surly frame. Triton have some reduced.
https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/search/surly
I bought a Specialized AWOL recently which has mounts and discs, they offered a frame set but don't know where you'd find one.
Awol-Comp-Frame.jpg

OP
OP
B

Bonacentral

What are we talking here? Day touring? lejog? A gentle week in the peaks? Off road or adventure touring? Or is a bike with touring attributes required for commuting? Some idea of the intended use would be helpful, then we can give some meaningful advice.

It's more of a +1 really! Am looking for an all in one that I can attach panniers to primarily for commuting and shopping but also for touring and camping.

I have a Scott sub 20 that has all the attributes I am looking for althought flat bar which I don't want but could probably convert for a lot less! Cracking bike BTW

Am loath to do this as suffered a broken wrist due to a non indicating left hand turning moronic driver and a broken thumb due to wet, greasy and leaf strewn roads both of which put me out for a long while but I could still ride that when on the mend albeit very gingerly!

The other one is a light road bike. £400 each. I'll have to chose one!!

Will check out the suggestions, thanks.

Frame size on bikes owned Specialized, Scott and Raleigh has always been a 56 or Large - they are all much the same. Wondering whether to go down a size on the road bike?

I'd rather spend less than more - wouldn't we all! Planet X and Ribble and others - what's the frame sizing like?

Cheers

vickster

Legendary Member
You need to go sit on a few bikes to gauge size. How tall are you as a starting point

Fwiw I went the other way and converted a PX roadbike to flats, it was too small even with much more stem. That was a 54cm RT58. I'm just under 5'10 but longer of leg rather than of torso. All my bikes are 54-55cm top tube with 100mm stem

PX give a height range I think if you look at the built bikes

Given what you say, I'd go for the Genesis eq but I'm biased having one

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bonacentral

Yeah I'll have a search of PX. Am 6'1 and all my bikes have been 56 or Large and are more or less the same between those brands but may go smaller on the road bike.

Think I have a weird geometry, longer body than legs, 32" inside leg and have stems ranging from 90 - 120mm.

The Genesis meets all my criteria but - can't stand that paint job!! Why put that yellow on there??!

Apologies if you have it! Does it look better built up?

vickster

Legendary Member
Yeah I'll have a search of PX. Am 6'1 and all my bikes have been 56 or Large and are more or less the same between those brands but may go smaller on the road bike.

Think I have a weird geometry, longer body than legs, 32" inside leg and have stems ranging from 90 - 120mm.

The Genesis meets all my criteria but - can't stand that paint job!! Why put that yellow on there??!

Apologies if you have it! Does it look better built up?
Mine is copper coloured and beautiful :smile: I like yellow too though :smile: I'd say it needs more yellow and less black ;) You did say you don't care about colour in the OP! You fibbed :tongue:

Last edited:
OP
OP
B

Bonacentral

Yes I guess I did fib a little! Great price and colours are decent. I'm shallower than I admit!

Love the welds on the Genesis though...

£200 is an unarguable price - cheers

Top Bottom