France (the Jura) in August?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

andym

Über Member
Hi

I'm thinking about heading for the Jura to do some touring staying in campsites and gîtes d'étape.

I was originally planning to wait until September, but looking at a couple of websites it looks like it gets pretty cold even in June, so I'm wondering about going in August. I've always been put off going to France in high season by all the stories of traffic jams , inflated prices etc, but given that I'm not heading for the coast, would it really be so awful? After all, France is 4 times the size of the UK so if half the population heads for the coast in July and August will this leave lots more space for everyone else?

jack the lad

A few years back I went to Lac du Chalain in the Jura for the last 2 weeks in August. I don't remember there being any congestion problems driving down there from the Chunnel, or it being overcrowded. The second of our two weeks ended a few days into September and the campsite which had been full became virtually empty after 31st August, even though that fell midweek.

It was a very rural area with few towns of any significant size. Not really a place for culture vultures, but good for walking, cycling and watersports on the lake. The local food was not particularly noteworthy, the best of it was discovering Macvin, a lovely drink not widely available in the UK.

We went to the Jura in August 07 on our way back from the Alps. It was really quiet, some interesting natural places to go (eg caves, waterfalls etc), and fantastic cycling country. It's a big cross country skiing area, so we kept coming across blokes roller blading down the lanes with ski poles! There are also some good XC mountain bike routes to follow as well. The temperature was just right for us and there was hardly any traffic on the roads. I'd recommend it.

I'll second what jack the lad says about the food though. It's a bit dull.

OP
OP
A

andym

Über Member
Thanks both of you for the helpful responses. Looks like it might be a runner.

Kirstie said:
There are also some good XC mountain bike routes to follow as well.

Yes I had the mountain bike version of the Grande Traversée du Jura in mind.

I'll second what jack the lad says about the food though. It's a bit dull.

Let me guess: lots of cheese, potatoes and smoked meat?

directSkiers

We have spent our last two summer holidays in the Alps (Haute Savoie) and the weather has been excellent, VERY warm! Couple of extremely dramatic thunderstorms, but always at night, conveniently! :birthday:

Drop me a pm if I can help with accommodation www.directalpinesun.com

Top Bottom