Freak Tunnocks Teacakes Alert!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Calling all Tunnocks Teacake fans...!
Two days ago I bought a box of 6 Tunnocks Teacakes, the finest confection known to man, from my local shop. When I ate the first one, I noticed that the chocolate coating on the yummy fluffy mallow centre was unusually thick - almost like it had been double dipped. This proved to be the case for each teacake in the box. It was so thick that when a small hole was bored in the chocolate shell, it was possible to excavate all the mallow from the inside, leaving what looked like a mini chocolate igloo...

Have Tunnocks changed the recipe?
Have I got a freak box from a faulty batch?
Was it an 'export strength' box meant for hot climates accidentally distributed to leicestershire instead?

I NEED TO KNOW!!

This is very important because if all Tunnocks are now double dipped it means they're robust enough to take touring :biggrin:

The sell by date on the box was quite short (Feb 08), and it was one of those boxes with arabic writing on as well as English. Anyone else had any freak Tunnocks Teacakes lately? Can you remember to check?

Ta

gbb

Legendary Member
[Throws coat on and heads to car] God i used to love those, havn't had them in years :biggrin: [/Throws coat on and heads to car]

stevenb

Dont forget to try before you buy....tell the shopkeeper that a freak batch of tea cakes has leaked from the production line and that all purchases should be quality inspected first before buying. :biggrin:

longers

Legendary Member
*curses poorly stocked shop*

Oh well, I'll have to make do with these Belgian Choc Chip Cookies instead :biggrin:.

Mr Celine

Discordian
Double thickness of chocolate? They'll be the heat resistant ones. They are sometimes exported to hot climates (hence the arabic) but their main use is for deep frying in Weegie chip shops. :biggrin:

Baggy

Cake connoisseur
:biggrin: Think I've encountered these in the past - the choc is strong enough that you can (carefully) suck the mallow filling out without it collapsing :sad:

It also avoids that disappointing moment of divesting your first Tunnock of its foil only to find the chocolate is shattered :biggrin::biggrin:

derall

Guru
Oh you have to wait until after the supermarket closes before you mention this, don't you? And it's an early start tomorrow so now it's 24 hours until I can get there.

Speicher

Vice Admiral
I wish to take part in the extensive market research required on this thread. I usually do my procuring of commestibles in local shops. If I have to venture into a Big shop, to find these cakes, are they in Tecsos, Rosewaits or Mattiewatnots. ? :idea:

BJB said:
Kirstie, my colleague is the food standards officer allocated to the Tunnocks factory. I will ask her about it and let you know.

COR BLIMEY!

What a cool job. I'd be very grateful to know the inside story...

Speicher - you can get them in tescos and morrisons, and they come in milk and dark chocolate variety.

Tunnocks fans might also like to know that you can get these

Maz

Guru
I love Tunnocks T cakes! Must buy some now that you mention it, Kirstie.
"Trapped in the East Midlands?" It's not that bad, is it?!

Top Bottom