England : Cumbria Fred Whitton 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
I nearly ran into the back of someone at the foot of hardknott! Just before they reached the cattle grid they stopped and got off. I managed to swerve around them, but I just didn't expect them to stop so suddenly......
So also watch out for the looneys riding too close, too fast and with complete disregard for your safety!!

Seriously though, there were people flying past me going down hill on some of the descents. How they survived I don't know. As a local I know lots of other locals who have come a cropper on the big descents. Kirkstone has a nasty bend in it half way down that can catch you, Honister/hardknott/wrynose all very very bumpy with hairpins. It is a great event, enjoy it, but just take care and don't get too complacent.

I did the 'Fred' back in 2009. One of the hardest days I've ever had on a bike. Good luck

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I take my hat off to anyone who does the Fred Whitton.
really? From where I'm sitting it looks like the most dumbass event that anyone ever devised. Or Darwinism in action......
There were several crashes, four on Kirkstone Pass, attended by Barrow paramedic Andy Cochrane, of the North West Ambulance Service.
He said: “I had only just parked my motorcycle by the side of the pass and four accidents happened in the vicinity within the space of an hour.
“One rider sustained head injuries, two more suffered concussion and a fourth sustained friction burns after being thrown on to the road.

Nearly there

Veteran
Get plenty of hill training in and to have Hardknott 90 miles in is a sadistic git:rofl: Don't forget Honister and Newlands are a challenge too:sweat:

Hip Priest

Veteran
really? From where I'm sitting it looks like the most dumbass event that anyone ever devised. Or Darwinism in action......
There were several crashes, four on Kirkstone Pass, attended by Barrow paramedic Andy Cochrane, of the North West Ambulance Service.
He said: “I had only just parked my motorcycle by the side of the pass and four accidents happened in the vicinity within the space of an hour.
“One rider sustained head injuries, two more suffered concussion and a fourth sustained friction burns after being thrown on to the road.

Yes really. It's probably the toughest sportif in the UK, so anyone who tackles it gets kudos from me.

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r_2izj1tcDI

Eribiste

Careful with that axle Eugene
Strewth! I'm having to eat some cake just reading about this.......:surrender:

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
An Audax rather than a Sportive, but I think the hardest ride in the UK last year was probably the Pendle 600 - 609km with 9000m climbing taking in the Lakes, North Pennines and the North Yorkshire Moors.

For a single day ride, the Snow Roads 300 is another tough one. It is 300km with 4800m climbing and includes Cairn o’Mount, the Cabrach, the Lecht, and Cairnwell passes. This Sunday's adventure show on BBC2 in Scotland* was filmed on the 2012 Snow Roads.

*Also on Sky [Channel 990], freesat and Virgin for non Scots, 7pm 18th November

PpPete

Legendary Member

Strange, because the descent of the Kirkstone is relatively tame compared with the other descents. Wider, smoother road and no sharp bends to catch the unwary. Even in the wet 30 mph is not unreasonable... except the bloody cars hold you up.

On all the other descents keep your speed down right from the top. Not for nothing do they post this pic on the website:
gios.jpg

Waspie

Über Member
Strange, because the descent of the Kirkstone is relatively tame compared with the other descents. Wider, smoother road and no sharp bends to catch the unwary. Even in the wet 30 mph is not unreasonable... except the bloody cars hold you up.

On all the other descents keep your speed down right from the top. Not for nothing do they post this pic on the website:

I suspect it's possibly because The Kirkstone tempts you to go for it, whereas on the Honister, Hardknott and Wrynose it's pretty obvious that you could be in big trouble if you get your speed up at all.

Waspie

Über Member
Good idea, although I have never walked up a hill yet and dont plan on doing it soon. Maybe Hardknott will persuade otherwise ...

I wouldn't fixate too much on avoiding walking up Hardknott. I'd never walked up a hill before I attempted the Hardknott, and never walked up a hill again - until my 2nd attempt at the Hardknott! Plenty people manage it though.

Was pretty close to getting off and walking on Honister as well.

Demonclimber

Climbing Ninja
Do the FWR - it's a fab day out - but do it with a couple of mates on a quieter day. A light ish bike, good bullet proof wheels, good brakes and a few gears in reserve. Pick your weekend for good weather - if the weather is not so good on the actual FWR weekend it's carnage (maybe a slight exaggeration) but these descents up here are frightning if it was wet, especially with a load of other people on the road. Some bits of Hardknott are in a despicable condition. Do it in mid June and you've got hours and hours of daylight (for stopping at cafes obviously :laugh: and admiring the view). Train on hills, and then do some more hill training. After that do some hill work and then pedal up some even steeper hills. If you're ever up this way get in touch and I'll pedal round some bits of it with you.

eggsausage

aye I'm going to do it with some mates if we can get places, I've heard places go fast so keep your eye on the website early december.