England : Cumbria Fred Whitton 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Hacienda71

Mancunian in self imposed exile in leafy Cheshire
Is anybody planning to enter the Fred Whitton Sportive in May 2013? Anyone who has done it before, do you have any advice or tips?

Take cleat covers :whistle:

OP
OP
M

Markymark13

Fit low gears, and ride up as many hills as you can in preparation. Oh and fit SPDs so you can walk up and down Hardknott :smile:

I am currently running a standard double, so lowest gearing is 39 26. Going to fit a compact in the New Year so that should knock it down to 34 26. Cant change the Cassette without buying a new reach mech, which I dont want to do.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
The steepest you will be riding is 30% according to the signs, but it is steeper than that on the inside of the bends on Hardknott so try to stick to the outsides of the bends. Also remember that you get there after about 90 miles.

Many do ride the whole lot, but if you are going to end up walking on a hill then this would be a reasonable one to bet on, so it is a good idea to prepare yourself just in case.

Oh and as a local who sometimes is riding the other way, Bower Bank (Irton Pike) just before you turn into Eskdale is a steep decent after a 12% climb. Try to remember that this is an open road as too many riders come down spread all accross the road and put themselves in danger when they get to the blind corner near the bottom. I've had to take evasive action while cycling up and if I'd been a car then the riders in question wouldn't have been completing the ride.

OP
OP
M

Markymark13

Thanks for that, that is the kind of thing I was looking for.

lukesdad

I am currently running a standard double, so lowest gearing is 39 26. Going to fit a compact in the New Year so that should knock it down to 34 26. Cant change the Cassette without buying a new reach mech, which I dont want to do.
I take it you are running campag ? You should be able to run a 13-29 cassette on the same rear mech.

Garz

Squat Member
Reinforcing the descent warnings from other posters. I rode the wynose pass a couple of times, once in the wet and once fairly dry. Although the climbs test your lungs the descents are very dangerous especially to those who are not familiar and trying to push hard on public roads. You do have cars coming the other way so don't get too cocky - it could end in tears!.

PpPete

Legendary Member
Nope, Shimano 2300. Can not afford anything more at the moment. The instruction manual states that 26 is the maximum number of teeth for the mech.
Shimano mechs will take a good bit more than the instruction manual says. Changing to a compact will eat up some of the spare capacity, but based on my experience (with an extra-wide non-standard triple and a completely non-standard cassette) you might well get away with a 30T on the back, 28T will almost certainly be just fine.

I'd echo the comments above.... however good your brakes are, descending the Hardknott in the wet is a seriously scary proposition. There is one left hander with a little bluff ahead a few hundred metres down from the summit....if there are cars coming up at you go down, buttock-clenching doesn't even come close to describing it.

OP
OP
M

Markymark13

Cheers for that, may look into changing the cassette as well in that case.

Thanks for the warnings on the Hardknott descent, doesn't sound like something to be taken lightly.

Hip Priest

Veteran
I take my hat off to anyone who does the Fred Whitton. A friend of mine did it, and got over all the climbs without stopping or walking, so it sure is possible if you're very fit and have the right gearing.

Some of the climbs are so tough that even the event website advises you to get off and walk!