England : Cumbria Fred Whitton 2013

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
pretty much anywhere up here in the lakes is hilly with the exception of the far north (north of the A595) which isn't technically the lakes anyway. You don't have to look too far to find a grueller!
Low wood - That's Bigland hill, two good ways up that, from the north -Brow edge road and from the west - Low wood. A nice rolling descent into Cartmel too. ^_^ I used to ride it a couple of times a week for 'training' :wacko:

Garz

Squat Member
Low wood - That's Bigland hill, two good ways up that, from the north -Brow edge road and from the west - Low wood. A nice rolling descent into Cartmel too. ^_^ I used to ride it a couple of times a week for 'training' :wacko:

That's the one! It's on the return leg on the Wrynose or Bust sportive - I found it harder than Wrynose pass itself as it's towards the end of the route and seems to go on and on..

I heard people referring to it as Bigland hill however on the maps it's shown as Low wood (road). :wacko:

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
and seems to go on and on..
Its a tough one with fresh legs lol. I find its one of those hills that if you look up its so disheartening you want to stop, I think not being able to see the summit does that, so for me its eyes a meter ahead of the front wheel and commence grinding :bicycle:

fuji-stu

Don't hang about at the first feed station grab some water etc and crack on over Newlands before you eat anything ;)

OP
OP
M

Markymark13

How's everyone's training going? Been a bit hard to get out recently so been hitting the turbo hard. Was really looking forwards to the Lakeland loop next week for a good warm up and shake down so hope it isn't postponed. Any locals able to say what the snow conditions are up in the lakes right now?

jazzkat

Fixed wheel fanatic.
How's everyone's training going? Been a bit hard to get out recently so been hitting the turbo hard. Was really looking forwards to the Lakeland loop next week for a good warm up and shake down so hope it isn't postponed. Any locals able to say what the snow conditions are up in the lakes right now?
Kirkstone only opened yesterday, I think. Hardnott and Honister were still closed this morning according to the local radio.
I was up in Grasmere/Ambleside/Windermere today and while there was a few patches of snow in the fields the roads are all clear. It might not be so clear at any altitude though:cold:

danielstucke

Über Member
Cheers for that. Fingers crossed it will go ahead then if we dont have any more snow and a bit of a melt!

Just been canceled :sad: Was doing it myyself. Up there for the weekend to visit the parents so will do a big ride of my own instead.

OP
OP
M

Markymark13

Just been canceled :sad: Was doing it myyself. Up there for the weekend to visit the parents so will do a big ride of my own instead.

It's only been postponed, not cancelled. Think I will go for the Keswick start on the 21st rather than the august date as that way it can still be a shake down for the Fred a fortnight later. You?

danielstucke

Über Member
It's only been postponed, not cancelled. Think I will go for the Keswick start on the 21st rather than the august date as that way it can still be a shake down for the Fred a fortnight later. You?
Probably August actually, too busy for another trip up in a few weeks time

danielstucke

Über Member

I like the picture showing why they've postponed it, Wrynose:

photo1.jpg

http://epiceventsmanagement.wordpress.com/2013/04/03/lakeland-loop-spring-and-summer/

Jazzer

Regular
Hi done the 2011 Fred,weather was wet for best part of day, descents very tricky, seen some bad crashes, so caution is rqd, don't eat to much at second feed station, I did after arriving cold and wet, and straight after the stop, is quite a climb urghhhh, do the training and its a superb day enjoy