Fred Whitton?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Even the hostels are expensive and booked up. Should have sorted this yesterday. Might be a camp site job.

huwsparky

Über Member
Try one of the booking companies @Milzy Both times we stayed I hadn't booked the accommodation prior to the ballot result. Surely there'll be places. Ideally you want to be in Ambleside though.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
Try one of the booking companies @Milzy Both times we stayed I hadn't booked the accommodation prior to the ballot result. Surely there'll be places. Ideally you want to be in Ambleside though.
I managed to get a nice place in Bownes with a lake view. It will be around a 6 mile drive to the start. Although Ambleside would have been better I can live with that.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I managed to get a nice place in Bownes with a lake view. It will be around a 6 mile drive to the start. Although Ambleside would have been better I can live with that.

More pubs and more eating places (esp' at night) in Bowness.

Apart from a reasonable number of climbing/hiking stores to wander around Ambleside is imo a bit of a washout of a town. Not much to do there and very little going on.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
lol can’t exactly sample all the real ale before the hardest challenge of my life. I’ve ran Ultras before but this will be something else.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic

That's a perfect warm up ride, surely? ;)

huwsparky

Über Member
Ha ha you’re having a bubble.
Should I pack some sandwiches as well as gels bars etc??
Don't know how you usually plan your nutrition but both times I've done this event I've skipped the first stop both times, it's been way busier than second stop both times. There's sandwiches in the feed stations so no real need to carry them. Think the second stop is just shy of 80 miles from memory and it's flattish immediately after whereas the first one leads into a climb. I guess it's down to the individual when planning nutrition. If you think it's borderline for you though, I'd stop, being in decent shape from mile 98 on is what'll make or break your time anyway If you were thinking of going for it.

OP
OP
Milzy

Milzy

Guru
For any long ride, 2 tubes, a pump that you know works well (and CO2 if that's your thing) IMO (plus scabs just in case, belt and braces). Be a bugger to fail the ride due to a lack of fixes!
It’s weight up the climbs, I need a team car ideally.

Top Bottom