Free/wild camping tips

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ming the Merciless

There is no mercy
Photo Winner
Don't light open fires unless below the high tide mark of a beach etc. The wild fires should reinforce this.

Randomnerd

Bimbleur
Jungle hammock for me. Great sleep if you insulate beneath you well, and easy to leave very little trace. I travel very light so I can get the bike well off the trodden paths, and pick woodland well away from doggers or doggies.
Going tonight for four days. First thing to pack is very good Insect repellant. Ground coffee, Aeropress, ready cooked, flavoured rice sachets, chorizo, tinned tuna, Leatherman, water. That’s about it.
Lightest Optima gas canister stove will make all the coffee and porridge I need. Eat a big pub dinner before your pitch.
Don’t share your best pitch spots with anyone! They’re yours.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
Never had any issues. Well once in France but it was minor. The Gendarmes on duty were ok in the end. Churches are a destination I haven't tried. My dark heart starts to hurt within 2 metres of the door.
Having been a warden and a vestryman in the past, I'd say a church would be an ideal destination, maybe not fundamentalist evangelical as the dress codes for cyclists might clash, but, at least in the States,Catholic, Episcopal/Anglican, Methodist, and Presbyterian would probably welcome a visitor from other lands.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
Jungle hammock for me. Great sleep if you insulate beneath you well, and easy to leave very little trace. I travel very light so I can get the bike well off the trodden paths, and pick woodland well away from doggers or doggies.
Going tonight for four days.
Interesting. Have always been iffy about them. Worried about a collapse I suppose and injuries. Back injuries. A real concern? What do you do if there are no suitable trees? Which one do you use?
Rain?

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
It may help to know in which part of the world you intend to camp. Up to now we have pub gardens in England and places in the USA.

OP
OP
Blue Hills
It may help to know in which part of the world you intend to camp. Up to now we have pub gardens in England and places in the USA.
If that's a question for me steve, anywhere. I was mainly looking for general principles, though specific types of places also welcome, as long as the country is made clear, if relevant.

steveindenmark

Legendary Member
Denmark. An excellent site Shelter.dk Dozens of free wooden shelters. Often with toilets and hot water. You find them all over the country. I wouldnt bother bringing a tent.

Attachments

• 20171119_142354.jpg
    20171119_142354.jpg
    227.9 KB · Views: 65
Top Bottom