Free womens bike maintenance workshop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Where are those workshops?

Does your experience ("ime") lead you to make similar offensive claims about disabled people, particular religions or races?
There are lots of workshops in my area, do you need links?
Local government has been founding several cycling projects in the last few years.
How do you feel offended?

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
There are lots of workshops in my area, do you need links?
Yes, if you've really any links to a men-only workshop.

How do you feel offended?
I think it's offensive and sexist to say that someone starts instructing the mechanic because they are male. Don't you?

Pat "5mph"

A kilogrammicaly challenged woman
Yes, if you've really any links to a men-only workshop.
Not male only, sorry, I thought you meant workshops in general. Probably they end up being attended by mostly male, otherwise why offering women's only?
Btw, a local cycling charity, the Glasgow Bike Station, has been offering women only sessions for ages, not a great uptake though, they are reducing them.

I think it's offensive and sexist to say that someone starts instructing the mechanic because they are male. Don't you?
That's not what I wrote!

winjim

Smash the cistern
@mjray Are you aware of how intimidating an all-male environment can be for some women, particularly when trying to learn a traditionally "male" skill such as mechanics?

Yes, there really is a problem of men being intimidated by women in workshops up and down the country. We really must address this issue by creating safe environments for men to be without women.

Huge amounts of money should be thrown at this to solve this simmering problem.

In next week's episode, I saw a disabled person use my loo in a restaurant. Why oh why do we spend money making loos for the disabled? When are we going to have able-bodies only loos. I suggest another squillion pounds is spent on this.

Last edited:

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
@mjray Are you aware of how intimidating an all-male environment can be for some women, particularly when trying to learn a traditionally "male" skill such as mechanics?
Firstly, if there's some women, it's not all-male, but I think I know what you meant: a almost-wholly-male group. Of course, I can only infer by analogy from other situations where I've been in the minority in a way. I realise it's intimidating, but it's not really about whatever protected characteristic is disproportionate. It's more about how the environment is, how people behave and are allowed/encouraged to behave.

Conversely, are you aware of how intimidating a mixed or all-male environment can be for some men, particularly when trying to learn a traditionally "male" skill such as mechanics?

I don't think @0-markymark-0's comments are helpful, ridiculing men who don't conform to stereotypes.

winjim

Smash the cistern
Firstly, if there's some women, it's not all-male, but I think I know what you meant: a almost-wholly-male group. Of course, I can only infer by analogy from other situations where I've been in the minority in a way. I realise it's intimidating, but it's not really about whatever protected characteristic is disproportionate.
So the answer is no, basically. You are not aware. Neither am I, nor is any man, really. We come from a position of such privilege that we can't really understand. So if a group of women want to do something on their own, that's fine. I trust they have their reasons.
Conversely, are you aware of how intimidating a mixed or all-male environment can be for some men, particularly when trying to learn a traditionally "male" skill such as mechanics?
Yes I understand and I have developed confidence and coping strategies myself. These are in no way undermined by the existence of all female bike mechanic classes.

I don't think @0-markymark-0's comments are helpful, ridiculing men who don't conform to stereotypes.
Then maybe you don't quite understand the point he's making, which is I believe (and forgive me @0-markymark-0 if I'm putting words in your mouth) broadly the same as mine.

sidevalve

Über Member
Firstly, if there's some women, it's not all-male, but I think I know what you meant: a almost-wholly-male group. Of course, I can only infer by analogy from other situations where I've been in the minority in a way. I realise it's intimidating, but it's not really about whatever protected characteristic is disproportionate. It's more about how the environment is, how people behave and are allowed/encouraged to behave.

Fair points really but it's not much different to the idea that we seem to have girl scouts but can't have boy guides [and sorry but the days of guides sitting around and being good little housewives are LOOONG gone - they all do the same now]. We can't have black only or white only classes or muslim or christian only so why is it Ok to bend the rules for women only. After all I suspect there would be a loud outcry if there were a men only class [and it was advertised as such].

winjim

Smash the cistern
http://www.towerhamlets.gov.uk/lgnl...s/cycling/community_led_cycling_projects.aspx

Cycle FIT, The Jagonari Centre
The Jagonari Centre operates a cycling initiative for mainly Muslim women of Bangladeshi background. The project provides regular cycling sessions for women for whom access is only possible because of the female-only environment and supports them until they have increased confidence to cycle publicly. For more details on the latest cycling projects available through this scheme contact The Jagonari Centre on 020 7375 0520 or visit them at 183-185 Whitechapel Road, E1 1DW.

It's very important in some cultures that women do not mix with men outside their family.

Sandra6

Veteran
Given the typically sexist attitudes demonstrated here ( female mechanics! Whatever next?!) Is it any wonder women would like a class just for them?
Also, those of you bleating for a class just for men, have you ever asked for one? Halfords are responding to a demand, women are often asking for such classes, guess what? If you don't ask, you don't get.
The classes will be run by the most suitable colleagues available - I'm in charge of my store's. :cycle: its going to be epic!

Top Bottom