Free womens bike maintenance workshop

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Given the typically sexist attitudes demonstrated here ( female mechanics! Whatever next?!) Is it any wonder women would like a class just for them?
Also, those of you bleating for a class just for men, have you ever asked for one? Halfords are responding to a demand, women are often asking for such classes, guess what? If you don't ask, you don't get.
The classes will be run by the most suitable colleagues available - I'm in charge of my store's. :cycle: its going to be epic!

Er... seeing as I'm the one who referred to a female mechanic, please note that in no way was I saying that's a bad thing, as she's a good mechanic. Her gender isn't relevant to her abilities, and I was merely mentioning it as being unusual - i.e. being female and Halfords having a mechanic who knew about bikes. The assumption you're making that I was implying women couldn't be mechanics could be construed as being sexist. I've run Dr Bike sessions specifically for women as I'm fully aware of how some men could intimidate others.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I don't see anything sexist about a class for women and those who do must lead very difficult lives, mentally crippled by their twisted sense of political correctness.

Halfords, although much criticised, are smart operators and could teach some bike shops a thing or two about skilful retailing.

One of the known strengths of Halfords is their friendly and non-intimidating attitude, especially towards new cyclists.

Plenty of women - and men - buy their first bike from Halfords after being patronised in local bike shops.

The classes are another example of Halfords' attempt to break down old barriers.

Mostly for commercial reasons, but at least they are doing it.

The politically correct posters on here should be praising Halfords, not knocking it.

sidevalve

Über Member
Given the typically sexist attitudes demonstrated here ( female mechanics! Whatever next?!) Is it any wonder women would like a class just for them?
Also, those of you bleating for a class just for men, have you ever asked for one? Halfords are responding to a demand, women are often asking for such classes, guess what? If you don't ask, you don't get.
The classes will be run by the most suitable colleagues available - I'm in charge of my store's. :cycle: its going to be epic!
No one is bleating for men only classes - simply pointing out that it is illegal to discriminate on grounds of sex religion or colour [and more or less anything else you care to think up] therefore in essence the women only class is illegal. Second are women really so feeble in this century that they need to be cosseted and kept separate from all those big scary men ? Women fought for equality and rightly so - do they now not want it ? As for other cultures well again sorry but the law still applies - no discrimination etc etc and this is not a Muslim country [no this is not a race thing - give me a break] the law MUST not be twisted to fit any one group or it becomes useless. A precedent in law is a major item. Once done it can never be undone.
I'm afraid at the moment it seems as though there is a note of hypocrisy getting in here - upset at the idea of men only but anger at the idea that women only is a bad thing - two wrongs do not make a right.
Finally this is a bicycle maintenance class not a class for confirmed axe murderers and phsyco's - most of the men will be in exactly the same position as any intelligent woman [and if you want to ride and maintain your bike you must be intelligent] so again I ask what is the problem. Stop defending wet feeble girls who want everything handing to them and get out there and live in the world your mothers and grandmothers fought to create otherwise their struggle will have been in vain

Dirk

If 6 Was 9
I think it's offensive and sexist to say that someone starts instructing the mechanic because they are male. Don't you?
Not in the slightest.
It might be impolite, but that's about as far as I would go.:smile:

Last edited:

RhythMick

Über Member
good grief - is this really worth people getting uptight about ?

The more people who know at least the basics about how to look after their bike, the better. If there are a subset of people who (for whatever reasons) would be unlikely to attend a mixed class then good on Halfords for responding to demand and setting it up.

Sandra6

Veteran
Actually @sidevalve its not illegal, like all rules there are exceptions even to the equality laws. Otherwise all men's clubs would be shut down along with boys' / girls' schools and what would happen to man united when they had to let girls on the team?
Advertising / promoting an activity to an underrepresented group is not a bad thing.
I'm by no means wet or feeble, but given a choice I'd go for the ladies only option.

winjim

Smash the cistern
As for other cultures well again sorry but the law still applies - no discrimination etc etc and this is not a Muslim country [no this is not a race thing - give me a break] the law MUST not be twisted to fit any one group or it becomes useless
If you stop a particular set of Muslim women from being able to go to a women only maintenance class then you in effect bar them from learning bike maintenance. How's that for equality?

Last edited:

ayceejay

Guru
The assumption is that women won't understand the way bike mechanics is taught to men and in reality could turn out to be really patronising, the truth is that being female is not a disability or equivalent to being fat.

The assumption is that women won't understand the way bike mechanics is taught to men and in reality could turn out to be really patronising, the truth is that being female is not a disability or equivalent to being fat.
Who is assuming that? No, the assumption is that some women might feel intimidated to go to a workshop that is male dominated.

DEFENDER01

Über Member
You dont need to know how a computer works to use it.
You dont need to know how a car works to drive it.
I think they have an idea they can make a few ££££££££s as they certainly are not doing it out of the kindness of their hearts.:rolleyes:

I think it's great. It's going to be filled with local women, new to biking who live near each other. I would be quite surprised if dozens of little pootle and cake groups didn't spring out of this mix. It's hard to meet other female cyclists at the same level as you. As there seem to be only 6 places at each site, you have to only have women or there wouldn't be the critical mass to make it happen.

@Sandra6 let us know if that happens in your group.

Last edited:

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Halfords are offering a free bike maintenance workshop to women on Wednesday 20th May, in association with Breeze Bike Rides.

We're holding a free introductory bike maintenance workshop for women in stores on 20th May. This is an ideal session for women who are new to cycling and want to learn the basics of taking care of their bikes. The workshop will be practical and interactive and a great opportunity to meet other women in your area who are also interested in cycling.

More details and how to book here...
http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/...2_productId_1132168_langId_-1_categoryId_null
Great idea. Well played Halfords, about time they got in touch with riders needs after the fooking awful mess they made if last years advertising campaign...sorry, couldn't resist the dig...its a great idea.

They should do a kids version too.

jonny jeez

Legendary Member
Nice.

Kumquat

. Second are women really so feeble in this century that they need to be cosseted and kept separate from all those big scary men ? Women fought for equality and rightly so - do they now not want it ?
Finally this is a bicycle maintenance class not a class for confirmed axe murderers and phsyco's - most of the men will be in exactly the same position as any intelligent woman [and if you want to ride and maintain your bike you must be intelligent] so again I ask what is the problem. Stop defending wet feeble girls who want everything handing to them and get out there and live in the world your mothers and grandmothers fought to create otherwise their struggle will have been in vain

I am a female, and although I would like to learn some basic bike maintenance, I will not be going to these women only classes because given a choice I would prefer a mixed class and I am *ahem* rather butch looking, so would not wish to cause any confusion/embarrassment to the other women.

However.

There are plenty of women who WOULD prefer a women-only workshop and who DO feel intimidated by men, especially in these sort of "macho" settings (btw Evans also do womens bike maintenance classes for those who are interested). This does absolutely not make them weak, feeble or unintelligent, it's due to many things, not least the society that we all grew up in. Many, many women "play dumb" in the presence of men, often without realizing it.
For example, today I was studying and I overheard a young man explaining/teaching something to a young woman. They are in the same year of study, and both competent but not amazing. The guy was explaining things in a very patronizing way, as if to a child and the woman was "fake hesitating" before giving every answer, in a deliberately "unsure" tone, even though she knew them all. The worst thing was that neither or them realized what they were doing! Not 20 minutes later, the same thing occurred with a different group. These were postgraduate medical students. I can promise you, that if the same conversation were to occur in a group of all women, there would be less (still some, but less) dumbing themselves down.

Of course, in an ideal world I would love for all women to be assertive and confident in the presence of men (especially those who know no more than they do!), but we are not there yet. Until that happens, I will support all female groups (even though I would not take part) because I would much rather see an group of strong women than a mixed group where some women don't feel comfortable or able to assert themselves.

And for those women who have no problem with men being around but still want to go to the women's workshops, that's of course fine too! We don't need the guys anyway ;)

Top Bottom