Freehub tool recommendations for Giant SR2 wheel

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dennetti

Hi. I'm trying to remove the freehub from my Giant SR2 wheel. After removing the cassette and axle, it looks like I need to get a long-reach castelated tool into the wheel to remove the freehub. Looks about 10-12mm sort of size. Could someone confirm what tool I need please as I can't seem to find what I need. Thanks a lot.

OP
OP
dennetti

dennetti

sure, I will try. I tried a 10mm allen key, but no good. I then noticed that a round tool with notches cut out of it would work.

OP
OP
dennetti

dennetti

The top image shows what I'm reffering to. Cheers

iluvmybike

Über Member
The allen key required could be a 10mm, 11mm or 12mm and likely will be inserted from the other side(NDS) to remove the freehub body. If the tool does insert from NDS best pout it ina vice and use the wheel as the lever to remove - they can be quite tight. Make sure the allen key is a good fit as easy to round it off!

OP
OP
dennetti

dennetti

A bonus question please: anyone know what freehub I need for this wheel please? Hopefully it will have a model number on it. Thanks

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I see. I don't need a star shaped key then. Just a bigger allen key should engage with those slots?
Yes.

It's a bi-hex socket - uses an allen key, but the allen key fits every 30 degrees of rotation using the alternative slots, and it leaves a slightly bigger hole down the middle for the wheel axle.

An allen key fits properly in every other slot, a square driver fits sort of in every 3rd slot.

Last edited:
OP
OP
dennetti

dennetti

Thanks, I bought an 11m allen key and it worked perfectly. Conventional thread, and it wasn't too tight. Just needto find a replacement freehub now.

Attachments

• IMG_20201114_113454.jpg
    IMG_20201114_113454.jpg
    79.9 KB · Views: 119
OP
OP
dennetti

dennetti

Cheers. I think I found what I need: Trek/Bontrager Freehub Body 561948. There's a lot of deifferent freehubs out there!

sherlockdowney

Thanks, I bought an 11m allen key and it worked perfectly. Conventional thread, and it wasn't too tight. Just needto find a replacement freehub now.
Did you get it out from the drive side or non-drive side and when you say conventional thread you mean lefty loosey?
I ask because I gave it my all from the drive side turning anticlockwise but it didn't budge. I have a giant TCR SL2 2021. Thanks in advance.

Top Bottom