Freehub tool recommendations for Giant SR2 wheel

dennetti

Hi. I'm trying to remove the freehub from my Giant SR2 wheel. After removing the cassette and axle, it looks like I need to get a long-reach castelated tool into the wheel to remove the freehub. Looks about 10-12mm sort of size. Could someone confirm what tool I need please as I can't seem to find what I need. Thanks a lot.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
To remove a Shimano freehub you normally put a fat allen key (10mm?) into it. So presumably you have a different kind of freehub. Can you post a picture?

OP
dennetti

dennetti

sure, I will try. I tried a 10mm allen key, but no good. I then noticed that a round tool with notches cut out of it would work.

iluvmybike

Über Member
The allen key required could be a 10mm, 11mm or 12mm and likely will be inserted from the other side(NDS) to remove the freehub body. If the tool does insert from NDS best pout it ina vice and use the wheel as the lever to remove - they can be quite tight. Make sure the allen key is a good fit as easy to round it off!

OP
dennetti

dennetti

I see. I don't need a star shaped key then. Just a bigger allen key should engage with those slots?

OP
dennetti

dennetti

A bonus question please: anyone know what freehub I need for this wheel please? Hopefully it will have a model number on it. Thanks

newts

Try the square end on a 1/2" socket extension bar, it's a substitute fo an 11mm hex key.
Worked a treat on my Bontrager hubs.:okay:

OP
dennetti

dennetti

Thanks for the tip. Is it a standard right-hand thread?

andrew_s

Guru
I see. I don't need a star shaped key then. Just a bigger allen key should engage with those slots?
Yes.

It's a bi-hex socket - uses an allen key, but the allen key fits every 30 degrees of rotation using the alternative slots, and it leaves a slightly bigger hole down the middle for the wheel axle.

An allen key fits properly in every other slot, a square driver fits sort of in every 3rd slot.

Last edited:
Top Bottom