Freewheeling noise fluctuations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
I was adjusting my rear mech tension just now and noticed a strange noise during freewheeling but only when the cranks are at 3 o clock or 9 o clock (e.g. happens 2 times during a revolution). Only tested it in 1 gear so not sure if it's related to when the cassette / freehub is at a certain 2 points on it's revolution or when the cranks are in 2 positions (if that makes sense) but it's worrying. Sounds like a dull buzzing noize that is separate from the normal freehub freewheeling noise you get.

Doing a LONG ride on it tonight so need somebody to set my mind at rest asap! I think I noticed the noise the other day during my commute for a few seconds but put it down to my imagination - Today's discovery confirms I am not going mad.

SD

OP
OP
Sittingduck

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Sorted now - it was freehub issues. Needed to loosten off the lock nuts on the axle a little bit. The freehub was sticking a bit once per rev, as the pressure was too tight.

Bigtwin

Sittingduck said:
Sorted now - it was freehub issues. Needed to loosten off the lock nuts on the axle a little bit. The freehub was sticking a bit once per rev, as the pressure was too tight.

There you go, you've quacked it.

Top Bottom