Freeze Dried MREs - anyone tried them/ can recommend?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
They were clever in a way but ultimately a failed experiment, they were bulky and heavy so of limited use if you were mobile... I once had a play with a US issued self heating can which was twice the width and weight of the food content. And not fully hot when cooked.
The UK pouches are just the food and a layer of plastic, they're a model of efficiency. The idea is that you bring a pouch to the boil in one mess tin or jetboil cup, eat the hot food and at the same time make a brew with the boiled water, so you have a drink with your hot meal for one lot of fuel. Then if you eat from the pouch there's no real cleaning to do.

mudsticks

Obviously an Aubergine
Like @mudsticks I keep a couple for those unexpected late arrivals, Firepot meals are not only tasty, but they make them in compostable bags too, a bonus for the environment.

@HobbesOnTour suggestions are great though. Couscous really is a great, quick and easy meal. Made with fresh veg, feta and Falafel. Dead simple, quick and light to carry to boot.

Dont I get a point for mentioning cous cous first?? :smile:

Also you can get very quick cook tiny pasta, to go with a tin of fish, or packet of tuna. .

Or those pasta n sauce meals..
Mugshots are filling too.

Not haute cuisine but fine if you're hungry.

Packet soup made thicker, chucked on top of noodles with some cheese is very edible too.

I usually take home dried veg to add to a lot of these things as well.
But that's not everyone's priority. :blush:

MRE style pouches are wet food, boil in the bag so are heavier than dehydrated meals.
They all cost more than basic one pot camp cooking meals. The convenience is useful when you need a hot meal and the weather is bad or its dark and late.
Cooking takes more fuel than boil in the bag which is more of a weight than cost. Couscous is the fuel and water efficient carb compared to rice or pasta. Ramen noodles are a useful option.
You can use stir in sauce pots like Dolmio or any pesto.
Chorizi is my goto protein stick.
I usually pick up an onion and some greens at village shops and carry a small box of minature kitchen essentials, salt, pepper, olive oil, stock cube, sauce sachets( inc the soy fish from sushi) I can get a bit carried away with camp cooking but the easy stuff is easy.

Last edited:

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
We walked the northern half of the GR20 in Corsica a long time ago, relying almost entirely on freeze-dried food. There was no food available in the mountain refuges so you had to carry all your food for eight days. We were so tired and hungry at the end of the day that pretty much anything tasted good. The real stand-out treat was dehydrated scrambled egg with a big dollop of Flora and plenty of salt and pepper! It sounds disgusting but it tasted wonderful. Peanuts were good too.

Can you not just make sure that you cycle past a Gregg's?
In Norway I discovered supermarket grilled burgers which kept me going between meals. But I still dreamt of pies.

Gravity Aided

Legendary Member
MREs-Full of sodium, fat, and calories for the most part. Most prepared foods are. Cup noodles, etc. Might be a good thing in summer, when you sweat a lot, but not as a regular staple. I am still a fan of the local grocery store and fresh food. You get to meet people from where you are traveling, sample the local cuisine if you wish, get the fresh vitamins and nutrients you need. When I carry such emergency food, for storms, or days between towns, it is often dehydrated soup or chili which comes in a large bag and is cheap. Still bad, but not so bad. I have to admit I am in the States, and the MREs aren't really that good. Mountain House has a few exceptions that are acceptable, but I may go the dehydrate it myself route. I use a standard issue Stryker Jet-Boil type stove, good kit and better than the original Jet Boil at about half the price.

If anyone is interested in army style ration packs and MRE's, there are several YouTube channels which review and "taste test" them. Take a look at the YouTube channel of "Kent Survival". Andy from Kent Survival makes great videos about wild camping and outdoor cooking, and has done a load of MRE unboxing and cooking videos.

Top Bottom