French camping winter months

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

J-Lo

Hi all.

At last minute I'm contemplating around a weeks tour (probably in Brittany - easy with ferry) camping each night.

I have previously cycled in France with no prior planning (as such) and never had any problem finding a municipal campsite at the end of the day.

Are said campsites still open in these out of season months or will I have difficulties doing this in November?

Thanks in advance!

Poacher

Gravitationally challenged member
Most municipals have a limited season - some very limited! Here's a useful interactive map of municipals in Brittany; the ones open all year (or unusually long season) are shown in orange. Click on the symbol for further details and links to relevant town website page. Phone/email beforehand to confirm, and be aware that some may only offer chalets rather than camping pitches outside high season. Be prepared to do some camping sauvage!

andrew_s

Legendary Member
I think that the main reason for the limited seasons of many municipals is that the staff also have main jobs at schools or colleges etc.

Most* municipals still physically exist out of season, even if everything is locked up. I have been known to use one or two as wild camping sites - if you are lucky there may be a working outside tap. This was late September.

* some will be things like a school playing field, summer holidays only.

Top Bottom