French Frame considerations

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Hi there,

I'm interested in swopping one of my bikes for a French frame.

The advert states that the headset is French and that the BB is French, 'adapted for the Mavic style threadless'.

I'm concerned about what 'adapted' might mean, and what implications might there be in choosing a chainset ?

Would it not be possible to have the BB 're-threaded' (i'm not sure of the technical terminology) to take an English BB ?

Although the thread is different, will the diameter of the BB still be 68mm ?

I really like the frame which is Columbus tubing, but I don't want to buy something for which it is very difficult to source parts.

Are there any implications/pitfalls of which I should be aware ?

Any advice, gratefully received.

"Adapted" probably means the threads are chamfered at 45 for a couple of mm. It will be 68 wide (not dia). A French thread cup sealed BB should still fit the thread, but the only ones a quick search shows up are Phil Woods and expensive.

OP
OP
pubrunner

pubrunner

Legendary Member
Presumably the original thread wore out and they had one of these installed.

Yes, I think so.

I should clarify that the frame has already been chamfered and comes fitted with (presumably) one of these

http://www.bikepro.com/products/bottom_ ... avic.shtml

The deal would include seatpost, headset and the threadless BB.

I'm wavering
icon_smile.gif
, but not quite enough to decide to buy it.

Ta for the replies !

andrew_s

Legendary Member
It could also be a Stronglight JP1000 (copy of Mavic 610 produced after Mavic stopped making them)

They were usually used on older fames in France after French threaded BBs started to become hard to get. The use for frames with knackered BB threads was a bonus. They stopped getting made as French threaded frames became rare.

Top Bottom