Fresh Face

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

jdub742

My name is Jason. I am moving to the UK in the summer. Hoped to gather some info on the scene. Where is a good location that is, most importantly, good for riding, finding fellow cyclists to train with, has good independent bike shops? I will also need to find work upon arrival. What areas will be best to land a job, hopefully in a bike shop as I have over 10 years experience in the industry? Any info is appreciated. Looking forward to riding with you all!

Arch

Married to Night Train
Welcome!

Well, York has a few independent shops - but I don't know how often they take people on. It's certainly got a good cycling culture - especially of the utility and commuting type. Training, I know nothing about, but there are certainly local clubs.

Other places with a lot of cyclists tend to be London (lots of everything) and big university cities like Oxford and Cambridge.

Where are you coming from? If we know that, we'll know what sort of culture shock to prepare you for;)

Globalti

Legendary Member
If you like MTBing the best area is a valley called Calderdale, to the north of Manchester. It's where Singletrack magazine is published. See: http://www.singletrackworld.com/category/news/the-mag/

However Calderdale folk aren't too friendly towards outsiders, they kick Goths to death in Bacup town.

If you fancy road riding the most active scene seems to be in Kent, for reasons I've never understood. That's to the south-east of London, so the hills are gentle, the roads well surfaced, there are lots of golf courses and millionaires and you're never far from the seedy fleshpots of the Big City. Oh, the cyclists are all in their seventies and are called Arthur or Fred and they wear leather shoes and ride with big saddle bags.

*dons tin helmet and runs for cover*

OP
OP
J

jdub742

Thanks for the replies. I am moving from the US, which I've heard can be tough. My riding tends to cover all aspects of the sport, Road, MTB, CX, as well as BMX, so I can adapt to just about any situation. Road is what I have been focusing on lately. Is it possible to get work in skilled trades, carpenter, mason, electrician? Here, we have unions that are fairly easy to get into provided they have jobs to offer, and they can keep you employed. Do I need to apply for any work visas or union accreditation?

Arch

Married to Night Train
jdub742 said:
Thanks for the replies. I am moving from the US, which I've heard can be tough.

<adopts very posh dowager duchess voice>
No, no, my dear, whatever are you thinking. It's the other way round which is difficult. You can't get a proper cup of tea for love or money, and they all drive on the wrong side of the road! And as for what passes for cheese....

;)

My riding tends to cover all aspects of the sport, Road, MTB, CX, as well as BMX, so I can adapt to just about any situation. Road is what I have been focusing on lately. Is it possible to get work in skilled trades, carpenter, mason, electrician? Here, we have unions that are fairly easy to get into provided they have jobs to offer, and they can keep you employed. Do I need to apply for any work visas or union accreditation?

<drops voice>
Don't mind me, you'll get used to English (or British, but mostly English) eccentricity. (And sort that issue out in your head - the difference between England, and Britain...:blush:)

I'm afraid I have no idea on the work front or visas. If no one here can help, I'd assume you need to check it out with the British Embassy or something.

Perhaps we need a survival guide for you. To start with, never underestimate a Briton's ability to talk about the weather...

GentleBenn

Veteran
Welcome Jason !;)

Nobody has mentioned (and i dont want to put you on a downer) that we are just at the start of a recession over here !
Now i dont know much about the cycle industry ,but engineering,(electricians etc) are all taking a bit of a hammering at the mo, and this will eventually effect everyone !

Sorry about that ,just thought somebody should mention it,i hope im wrong !

Danny

Legendary Member
jdub742 said:
Thanks for the replies. I am moving from the US, which I've heard can be tough. My riding tends to cover all aspects of the sport, Road, MTB, CX, as well as BMX, so I can adapt to just about any situation. Road is what I have been focusing on lately. Is it possible to get work in skilled trades, carpenter, mason, electrician? Here, we have unions that are fairly easy to get into provided they have jobs to offer, and they can keep you employed. Do I need to apply for any work visas or union accreditation?
As GentleBenn has said we are going into a major recession - every bit as bad as what is happening in the States.

Having said that there has historically been a shortage of skilled labour, and as a result a lot of skilled migrants have come to the UK from Eastern Eurpoean countries like Poland. If you have really are skilled, I would imagine you could pick up work on some of the big building projects going on in London - such as the preparations for the 2012 Olympic games.

You definitely will need a work permit, and you need to check this out carefully with the Home Office. Union accredition/membership is (unfortunately) not obligatory, but generally wages and conditions will be much better in unionised workplaces. However some proof of your level of skill and good references would obviously help you to get a job.

postman

Legendary Member
:welcome:Hi Jason.Hope all goes well with your plans for coming over here.One thing you will have to get used to is our humour.
Also our famous weather,all seasons in one day.If you arrive in London find the chap that sells upsidedown brollies.Cos the southerners down sarf.Will tell you it rains,UP in Yorkshire.:biggrin:

Arch

Married to Night Train
Something that occured to me while trying to force myself to get out of bed this morning (oh, it was COLD!)...

I don't know the technicalities, but isn't there a difference in electrical systems in the States and over here? So will an electrician need to do any retraining, or is it the sort of thing one learns on the job? Now that regs are stricter about people doing their own electrics, I just wondered....

I guess carpenter and mason is ok, wood and stone are pretty much the same the world over...

GentleBenn

Veteran
Hi Arch, your right as an electrician from outside the uk ,anyone will have to have their qualifications assessed by uknaric ,have to get an ECS card and Health and safety certificate and also complete the city and guilds 17 th edition of the wiring regs, to legally work here.

Lets hope he's a carpenter:smile:

OP
OP
J

jdub742

Dave5N said:
Where you thinking of staying, Jason?

Accomodations are one of my biggest worries. I would like to be able to leave my stuff somewhere safe so I can continue to ride. I'm thinking a hostel, but worry that leaving belongings while I ride is a gamble. Any Suggestions?

Carpentry skills are my sharpest skilled labor attributes. This news of the jobs for the olympics is great! How does one apply?

Arch

Married to Night Train
jdub742 said:
Accomodations are one of my biggest worries. I would like to be able to leave my stuff somewhere safe so I can continue to ride. I'm thinking a hostel, but worry that leaving belongings while I ride is a gamble. Any Suggestions?

Carpentry skills are my sharpest skilled labor attributes. This news of the jobs for the olympics is great! How does one apply?

Sorry, when you say moving to England, are you talking long term, or just visiting?

If you are here for any length of time, you'll be best to get a room or flat to rent. I don't know about hostels (the backpacker variety, I assume you mean), but I think they tend to cater for the more short term stays...

If you are a bit more specific about your trip, people might be able to help better.

Top Bottom