Friday fun: New Bike - Guess the weight

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
mattobrien

mattobrien

Guru
New pedals arrived. According to the kitchen scales they come in at the claimed 95 grams / pedal. Not sure Mrs O would be happy about me using her kitchen scales for such matters.

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
7.33kg

I weighed the rear wheel from my commuter bike last week. Including 10 speed ultegra cassette and 25mm bontranger tyre it weighed 2.2kg!!! I could make a huge weight saving just by getting some lighter wheels.
or convert to a unicycle :dry:

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
New pedals arrived. According to the kitchen scales they come in at the claimed 95 grams / pedal. Not sure Mrs O would be happy about me using her kitchen scales for such matters.
95 gms...... are you sure, that seems unlikely t'me. Afraid I would want a 2nd opinion on that. Whats the make and model, out of interest

OP
OP
mattobrien

mattobrien

Guru
95 gms...... are you sure, that seems unlikely t'me. Afraid I would want a 2nd opinion on that. Whats the make and model, out of interest
I can't guarantee the accuracy of Mrs O's scales, but the needle pointed at 180 grams for the two of them and the manufacturer quoted weight is 'less than 95 grams / pedal', so I am thinking that it is near enough.

The pedals are Look Keo Blade Carbon Ti linky here: http://www.lookcycle.com/en/uk/route/pedales/keo-blade.html sorry on the ipad so it won't allow me to hyperlink.

They weren't cheap, so they ought to be light :-)

Psycolist

NINJA BYKALIST
I can't guarantee the accuracy of Mrs O's scales, but the needle pointed at 180 grams for the two of them and the manufacturer quoted weight is 'less than 95 grams / pedal', so I am thinking that it is near enough.

The pedals are Look Keo Blade Carbon Ti linky here: http://www.lookcycle.com/en/uk/route/pedales/keo-blade.html sorry on the ipad so it won't allow me to hyperlink.

They weren't cheap, so they ought to be light :-)
JEEEESUS (thats pronounced heyzoos to the religious among us, not wanting to offend) my bloomin rear brake cable inner weighs more than one of them. Unbelievable to be honest. I'll just forgo my third sausage at breakfast tommorow.....same effect :rofl: Sorry, no disrespect intended

OP
OP
mattobrien

mattobrien

Guru
JEEEESUS (thats pronounced heyzoos to the religious among us, not wanting to offend) my bloomin rear brake cable inner weighs more than one of them. Unbelievable to be honest. I'll just forgo my third sausage at breakfast tommorow.....same effect :rofl: Sorry, no disrespect intended
Sausages for breakfast, only permitted post Dunwich Dynamo if cycling :-)

I was explaining my pedal dilemma to a friend and explained that I had set aside some of the new bike budget for pedals and that seeing as the bike wasn't cheap, the pedals might as well be good. He kind of got it having spent the same as my bike on a new gearbox for his rally car (and now being in the process of upgrading to flat shift, similar cost to new pedals)

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
I don't think it will be particularly light, specially if its running Di2 group set... I think your looking at around 7.4 kg for the bike.

redcard

Veteran

Think I'd rather have the 3rd sausage

redcard

Veteran
Ahh yes that quite a bit lighter... I change my guess to 6.8 kg.
Really interested in the weight of bikes.

Me too. More so now that I'm going to have funds to treat myself to something decent.

My test is middle finger under the top tube. If I can't lift and hold the bike with one finger comfortably, then it's too heavy!

I'm guessing 6.95Kg

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
My test is middle finger under the top tube. If I can't lift and hold the bike with one finger comfortably, then it's too heavy!

I'm a little more 'mental' than that, I spend silly amount of time in my LBS with weighing scales :shy: Or ordering a number of things and sending back the heaviest.... Really wish I could get on with SRAM Red as the weight advantages of that are massive
I'm really pleased though with the weights I'm hitting at the moment. (66.8 kg with me and bike)

I think this bike though could be a little heavier than we all expect, I find if any company has something really light they make claims about it to attract idiots like me, and I can't find any claims for this bike.

Top Bottom