Friday Night is Music Night - Songs That Would Be Unacceptable Today

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
Far from being material that "would be unacceptable now", this is actually five pages on a "family forum" consisting of material that actually IS unacceptable now. The joy and glee felt by the people who have rushed to outdo each other here is palpably oozing across the page. Frank Zappa satirised people just like them, and of course they were, and remain, the last ones to realise it.
Tell that to the radio stations. Most of these songs are still played, many quiet regularly. Like much of the past, you can show it but you can't repeat it.

OP
OP
Smokin Joe

Smokin Joe

Legendary Member
This isn't a radio station though. It's a self-defined "fun and friendly" "family forum", that punishes people for posting obnoxious content on it, but seems so far to be OK with pages of links mostly celebrating men having sex with underage girls. Of all the subjects that can be chosen for the "Friday Night Is" theme, it's instructive that you chose this one, and that certain people take such great delight in it.
Get over yourself, for Christ sake. It isn't "Celebrating" anything, it is part of an ongoing series of themes about the subject matter in popular songs. We've had murder and war in the past and nobody raised an eyebrow over the content.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
Clever theme, not least because it requires thinking about.

The meaning of lyrics is usually open to interpretation, and usually lost on me and I suspect most listeners.

Steely Dan, for example, could be advocating genocide and organised child abuse and few of us would realise it.

Gary Puckett's Young Girl may well be about having underage sex, but it could also be relative - an older man falling for a much a younger woman.

Anyone who can genuinely understand Zappa is a brighter person than me.

I reckon there's an element with him of the Emperor's New Clothes - he's laughing at all of us.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Clever theme, not least because it requires thinking about.

The meaning of lyrics is usually open to interpretation, and usually lost on me and I suspect most listeners.

Steely Dan, for example, could be advocating genocide and organised child abuse and few of us would realise it.

Gary Puckett's Young Girl may well be about having underage sex, but it could also be relative - an older man falling for a much a younger woman.

Anyone who can genuinely understand Zappa is a brighter person than me.

I reckon there's an element with him of the Emperor's New Clothes - he's laughing at all of us.
Frank took the mickey out of just about everything, unfortunately some people don't get satire in music.

This one is not really on topic but just shows how life's experiences can be.

View: https://youtu.be/eep1_tiPOVY

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
I've always felt the lyrics to Gilbert O'Sullivan's "Clair" to be rather creepy; a love song to a child by her adult male babysitter...

AndyRM

XOXO
Since this thread is still going, I submit my own (former) band, Crowbar Abortion. Me and a friend set out to make the most deliberately offensive songs we could, and I think we were successful.

Top Bottom