Friday night Oxford-London, 20th August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
rogerzilla

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I'm interested in this - Oxford is where I lived when I started riding road bikes!

Not sure about this cobbles and gravel malarkey though... Is there no alternative?
Yes, you can just meet us on the Iffley Road. The cobbles are just round the Radcliffe Camera IIRC, and the gravel is washed out after heavy rain and takes a while to clear, same as for any country lane that hasn't been resurfaced since the 1930s. All normal stuff.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Being a bit naive here... but this ride, what is it about, for and can anyone join?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Being a bit naive here... but this ride, what is it about, for and can anyone join?

It's Rogerzilla's gig (from over on YACF).

Basically it's a night ride from Oxford to London (FRNTTC stylee). Departs Oxford station on the stroke of midnight on Friday with an ETA at a Cafe in Acton around 0630. Then off to Paddington for a train or Victoria for a bus if required.

It's a lovely undulating route with a couple of challenging climbs to keep you awake. Progress is serene. quite magical.

We did the first at the end of March 09, it was chuffing freezing with sleet on top of Chinnor Hill. We were save by 'Road-runners' hospitality half-way with a humungous pile of cakes!
As the sun rose we pedalled under the M25 and hurtled into a waking London for brekkie at Paddington.

Oh, and yes, anybody can join. It's reasonably swift but not fast...

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
It's Rogerzilla's gig (from over on YACF).

Basically it's a night ride from Oxford to London (FRNTTC stylee). Departs Oxford station on the stroke of midnight on Friday with an ETA at a Cafe in Acton around 0630. Then off to Paddington for a train or Victoria for a bus if required.

It's a lovely undulating route with a couple of challenging climbs to keep you awake. Progress is serene. quite magical.

We did the first at the end of March 09, it was chuffing freezing with sleet on top of Chinnor Hill. We were save by 'Road-runners' hospitality half-way with a humungous pile of cakes!
As the sun rose we pedalled under the M25 and hurtled into a waking London for brekkie at Paddington.

Wow, thanks for the reply, it sounds awesome!

I've had a shifty through YACF and read a bit about it there too.

I think I will check the trains out to Oxford and poss book up as I would like to do this ride. May cycle there... but were see!

Thanks again!

OP
OP
rogerzilla

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
We did the first at the end of March 09, it was chuffing freezing with sleet snow, followed by sleet on top of Chinnor Cryers Hill. We were save by 'Road-runners' hospitality half-way with a humungous pile of cakes!
As the sun rose we pedalled under over the M25 and hurtled trundled, except for the bit where we overtook the Mazda with the flat tyre, into a waking London for brekkie at Paddington.

Fixed a few bits...you must have been tired!

When I saw the snow falling in the headlights I couldn't believe it. We also had drizzle after Ruislip but it was (thankfully) several degrees warmer and it wasn't heavy enough to actually get us wet.

If it's a clear night - which it has been for the last four - we normally stop at Worminghall and look at the Milky Way.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Fixed a few bits...you must have been tired!

When I saw the snow falling in the headlights I couldn't believe it. We also had drizzle after Ruislip but it was (thankfully) several degrees warmer and it wasn't heavy enough to actually get us wet.

If it's a clear night - which it has been for the last four - we normally stop at Worminghall and look at the Milky Way.

Thanks! I do remember the car with the flat tyre! Actually, I was chuffing knackered :biggrin:

adam23

bugger if it was the week after i would have been around but only get 4 sats a year off due to work :sad:
i would love a new long ride out as well since i got my new bike a few weeks ago.
i might have a lok what time the train gets back to oxford as i could go straight to work after a quick wash and scrub up lol

I thinking of doing this ride, but not sure if I'll be up to speed on my Trice Q.
I'm more likely to average ~12-13 mph over that type of distance/hills/roads, than 15-16 mph.
So if anybodys going that speed I join in.
If not then have a good ride .......... :biggrin:

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Okay, am in if thats okay? Do I need to let anyone know?

Am going to cycle after work (Staines) to Oxford. Its about 48 miles or so, so will be fine.

Is there any phone numbers I need to swap with and roughly speaking, how many are going?

And if anyone else is cycling there thats sorta on the way, am sure I can re-route if need be. Safety in number an all..

Number14

Guru
Is there a difinitive rider list for this? Is anyone thinking of doing it on a recumbent - at the lower end of the speeds mentioned? :blush:

Is anyone thinking of doing it on a recumbent - at the lower end of the speeds mentioned? :blush:

Are there any more details on where to meet and at what time ??

If the rides still on, I'll be on my recumbent trike.
Depending on the hills and temperature, I'll probably be a the slower end on the speed spectrum.

Luck ........... :biggrin:

Top Bottom