Friday night Oxford-London, 20th August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
rogerzilla

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
Oxford station will have open toilets and somewhere warm to sit, but that's it. There are food places open nearby (Fab Foodie probably knows some).

Chinnor Hill is a long old grind, best taken at a very slow pace because you'll be doing it for 15 minutes. Smalldean Lane is just psychotically steep, with a rather rippled surface to add to the fun. Tarmac flows downhill on a gradient like that.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Oxford station will have open toilets and somewhere warm to sit, but that's it. There are food places open nearby (Fab Foodie probably knows some).

Chinnor Hill is a long old grind, best taken at a very slow pace because you'll be doing it for 15 minutes. Smalldean Lane is just psychotically steep, with a rather rippled surface to add to the fun. Tarmac flows downhill on a gradient like that.

Excellant, thanks!

Ah yes, thanks to the marvel that is Google Maps, ive just lived through that part of the ride.... nice! xx(

Cross-fingers ill catch you all tomorrow, may the force be with me!

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Not long home. Bloody bloody hard one that was, never done so many hills in my life. But great ride and great company.

116 hard fought miles on the clock and now time for bed, am bushed!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Not long home. Bloody bloody hard one that was, never done so many hills in my life. But great ride and great company.

116 hard fought miles on the clock and now time for bed, am bushed!

Many people on CC do not yet realise that Davywalnuts is legend in his own nightime :thumbsup:
Mean cyclist and a bloody nice guy to boot.

Have a good rest mate, nice to meet you and a pleasure to ride with you last night.

Quick Report

What a great night of cycling bonhomie!

Just back, drinkin’ a cold beer, 90 miles on the clock and still (surprisingly) a lot of beans left in the old legs.

Just some quick thoughts….

Highlights/memories (in no particular order):

The weather…. I could not have believed it would be so warm and dry considering the clouds above.

Being able to offer Feline a little shelter on a stormy night.

Tour de Oxford; fab (even though I do it regularly it’s nice to share)!

Chinnor hill is now a pussy-cat… tamed.

Smalldean lane… still those 40 yards to work on.

Best adrenalin moment… chasing Charlotte & Kim and down some stupidly steep and winding road somewhere and suddenly realising I don’t normally have the extra weight of saddlebag, locks and lights… which made for some buttock clenching and slightly sideways descending…. Man that was good, praise the lord for Koolstops and Michelin PR3s…. rims of fire!

The Tesco post apocalypse picnic.

My goal is now to be riding as well as Mr Kish sir when I’m his age!

Kim, sorry I didn’t fully ‘get’ the severity of your Badger-attack as I climbed Chinnor hill.

Thame Drunks, as good as ever.

The yoofs in the car in posh-house land who asked where we were going and couldn’t believe where we had come from!

Racing through central London traffic.

Sleeping on the coach home.

My cold beer right now.

Cheers
FF.

Attachments

• Davy small.JPG
    Davy small.JPG
    91.8 KB · Views: 68
  • Foodie small.JPG
    Foodie small.JPG
    117.5 KB · Views: 97
  • Team Small.JPG
    Team Small.JPG
    125.8 KB · Views: 87
Just home.
Very good ride.

70 miles done and I feel ok, the knees where where just starting to twinge a little getting into London.

Luck ........... :biggrin:

OP
OP
rogerzilla

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
I confused Tigerbiten and Tigerrr from YACF (who was also on the ride) - sorry.

Tigerbiten - here are a couple of photos for you - you should recognise the location.

wd5.jpg

wd8.jpg

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Now, Davy...how much, actually, does a laser beam put you off your flow?:biggrin:

LOTS!!!! :laugh: But was funny.

I was a right mess, really was.. need more sugar and water next time, but great ride none the less, lots to remember and lots of new experiences plus my first time to Oxford, so thanks!

And thanks FabFoodie, was great meeting you all.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Ooo - 122 miles for me. :whistle:

Seriously though, well done.

:angry: !!! I got out cycled... boooo!!! hahaha!

But still, I am chuffed as first serious mileage since end of April and there was alot of climbing to get to oxford, see below. These A roads are great for ease of use, but my oh my, hilly!

Darnn!!!! Its not pasting!! :angry:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Some more Hot Davywalnuts action... (Lycraman in yellow)and a double act with a Flying Dodo (in the blue) :biggrin:

Attachments

• Copy of IMG_1260.JPG
    Copy of IMG_1260.JPG
    97.2 KB · Views: 64
  • Copy of IMG_1259.JPG
    Copy of IMG_1259.JPG
    87.3 KB · Views: 60
Top Bottom