Friday night Oxford-London, 20th August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
BUMP!

OK, who's going?

I should be there God willing.

Hi FF,

Yes, all being well, and there being no rain, then I will be there... Your spot me as I ride a Zebra... :biggrin:

I saw one of the YACF cyclists out cycling at lunch last week, Steve Kish I think, so thats at least one semi-familiar face, but really dont know who from here will be coming but really want to know too.

I did a recce ride last night to Henley and back, so I know at least part of the route there. Didnt quite fancy a 110mile round trip on a school night, 58miles was enough! xx(

Hi FF,

Yes, all being well, and there being no rain, then I will be there... Your spot me as I ride a Zebra... :biggrin:

I saw one of the YACF cyclists out cycling at lunch last week, Steve Kish I think, so thats at least one semi-familiar face, but really dont know who from here will be coming but really want to know too.

I did a recce ride last night to Henley and back, so I know at least part of the route there. Didnt quite fancy a 110mile round trip on a school night, 58miles was enough! xx(

(waves)

I'm still intending on being there.

Norm

Blimey, Mr Nuts, if you made it all the way down to Henley on a school night, that is pretty impressive, because...

Oh, this Chinnor Hill Malarky, is it any worse than Rose Hill coming into Henley?
... if you mean Remenham Hill, that is a bastard from either direction. Going down to the Thames just to turn round and head back up that mountain at least explains how "nuts" you are. :biggrin:

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Well I've fixed all the lighting to the bike, + new Crudguard MK2s and with a bit of luck a new SQR block should arrive from Carradice to allow me to fit the Barley. New batteries and some jelly abies required from Tesco and I'm good to go I reckon.
Desperately trying to get rid of a flu-like bug by Friday. Got a mate called Pete from Abingdon Freewheeling to come along as well, so added to the yacf crowd it should be a nice little peleton!

Chinnor hill is a very good grunt... and even more fun in the dark! Then there's smalldean lane :ohmy: .

OP
OP
rogerzilla

rogerzilla

Legendary Member
There isn't a rider list because this isn't a CTC ride and you're not covered by insurance - also I'm not going to spend 15 minutes ringing round everyone who decided to go to bed instead ;-). If you're not there by midnight and you want to catch up, the route is here:

http://www.gmap-pedo....com/?r=3849583 (turn on the elevation display and tremble)

A couple of short cuts are possible to make up time.

Please note we meet inside the concourse at Oxford station, not outside. It's warm, there are seats and you can see what you're doing.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Blimey, Mr Nuts, if you made it all the way down to Henley on a school night, that is pretty impressive, because...

... if you mean Remenham Hill, that is a bastard from either direction. Going down to the Thames just to turn round and head back up that mountain at least explains how "nuts" you are. :biggrin:

Thanks, and yups, "nuts" is very suitable...

It could be that one... but I didnt come back up it, the 10% downhill at 45mph with no helmet was nice though, was a bit too scared to push it any faster however, instead, I looped around Marlow, Bourne End and Cookham instead.. was a harsh hill in there though somewhere..

However..... nothing is ever simple in my life... My cassette, my lovely weight weeny SRAM red cassette, has decieded to give up the ghost it seems (possibly) and is slipping all over the show, so I currently have 3 differant gear ranges I can use... ( I actually just used those three for the recce, well, was forced to and just got away with it, just..). I cant get to a LBS in time/one that had a suitable replacement locally to replace so I have ebay, of which theres two suitable cassettes, one in Basingstoke and one in Oxford, coincident huh, but ild prefer the one in Basingstoke... so... If I win that, then am off to Basingstoke, then Oxford, some 70miles... then the night ride.. I do love cycling huh! hahahahaha! So, cross-fingers still on the weather, if not, am drowning my sorrows! hahahaha!

Oh, and my Polar CS200 has decieded to die too... but currently trying to borrow a Garmin 705. :biggrin: .

PS. Oxford Station, it will have toilet open/food eateries/coffee places still open that late?

Norm

so... If I win that, then am off to Basingstoke, then Oxford, some 70miles... then the night ride.. I do love cycling huh! hahahahaha! So, cross-fingers still on the weather, if not, am drowning my sorrows! hahahaha!
:biggrin:
So, you are riding from west London to Basingstoke in the hope that something bought from ebay fits and works, then through the north Down and Cotswolds to Oxford so that you can cross the Chilterns in the middle of the night....

Your reputation for insanity is well deserved. :bravo:

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
:biggrin:
So, you are riding from west London to Basingstoke in the hope that something bought from ebay fits and works, then through the north Down and Cotswolds to Oxford so that you can cross the Chilterns in the middle of the night....

Your reputation for insanity is well deserved. :bravo:

@ Aperitif.. I know, but i've never tasted tarmac in that time however so I think you have one up on me there, oh, actually, I have, along with car roof, but I think i've wrecked 2 bike, 7 or so wheels, one frame, a few mechs, quite a few chains, of which two in the last 10 days, my body, a helmet, an sti, cables, pedals, brakes, cassettes, chainsets, no handle bars though, oh, actually I have, and a stem... oh, and four saddles... headset... and loads of cleats, no wonder am broke... :whistle:

Oh yes Norm, quite excited by it all if am honest, nothing like a challenge! And yes, I've looked at the elevations but the replacement cassette, the one I want, has a 26t rear cog, instead of a 25t what am used to, will make all the differance! I thinks its semi-mouseketeering? And yes, I have full faith the cassette will be fine... Keep the faith! :thumbsup:

Top Bottom