FNRttC Friday Night Ride; London to Eastbourne. 19th July 2019

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Yes, I saw the cow. I said "moo" as I passed but it rather rudely ignored me.

Having everything waterproofed inside airport security bags made taking photos difficult. I only managed one, at the top of Kidds
upload_2019-7-20_18-11-41.png

A cow on the grass verge; a bemused baby bird on the tarmac as cyclists whizzed either side; loads of slugs & snails; a fox; cats; badger and numerous dead frogs (seriously). That was the wildlife tally.

There may also have been a drop or two of rain. That may have been the reason for the 9 punctures encountered. Although I think we'll have to bring back in an old rule (no, not the no mudguards one), but a sensible one that suggests bringing along new inner tubes just in case AND NOT ONE WITH 10+ REPAIRS!!!

On the plus side, it didn't rain all night.

Well done to everyone who survived. An epic ride.

Cow sighted and was glad it decided to stay on the verge while we rode by. Also spotted a small rodent, probably a mouse. Missed all the slugs, a FNR first for me not have dried slug stuck on brake calipers. Plenty deceased toads (not frogs in pedantic estimation).

As has been noted, there was rain and likely cause of plentiful punctures. Apart from one young lady, my count of punctures were all surfered by experienced FNR-ers; self included.

Chapeau to couple on Pino (sp?) device and the astonishing groaning board laid by scout troop.

edit: sp.

Last edited:

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Some thoughts on the route

Yes, it was hilly for a FNRttC, but not terribly so. It definitely warrants a health warning, but I thought it was an excellent route.

I calculated climb/distance at 1.2%, compared with 1.1% for Brighton or 0.7% for Whitstable and 0.8% for Bognor. So it's not that much hillier.

The London exit was relatively swift and had significantly reduced unpleasant/boring riding. Going through Dulwich (yes that meant going over Crystal Palace) and then to Addington Village meant that we were on quiet (albeit flooded) lanes much sooner. We were out of the urban sprawl in about 20km (16 mi) Compare that with Whitstable, where the truly quiet riding doesn't start until after Gravesend at about 45 km)

As this is my local area I'll venture to suggest a change: Stick with the A214 at Elmers End and then go down Corkscrew Hill and up Layhams Road rather than Featherbed Lane. This avoids the big roundabout with the tram lines.

For me the London exit is generally either stressful, where drivers are trying to kill you and drunks are yelling abuse, or boring as you trundle through housing estates. This kept the stress/boredom to an absolute minimum.

The Forest Row scout hut is a five star stop.

Kidd's is a smidge less climb than the Beacon and about the same length. I'm happy with it being included. Coming earlier in the ride meant less traffic - I've had to pull over on the Beacon in the past to let the build up of traffic past (or at least, that's my excuse). On a good day the views rival those from the Beacon.

The real hills that count are the smaller ones, like Ashhurst Wood and between Uckfield and Horam that generally slow things down and tire the legs.

kimble

Veteran
For me the London exit is generally either stressful, where drivers are trying to kill you and drunks are yelling abuse, or boring as you trundle through housing estates. This kept the stress/boredom to an absolute minimum.

I'll add the recent innovation: Complicated start-stop cycle infrastructure where, when ridden in a dense group, you never know what's coming next. (Unless gifted with up-to-date local knowledge, obviously.) Which isn't to say we shouldn't use it - file alongside comedy off-road shortcuts.

The real hills that count are the smaller ones, like Ashhurst Wood and between Uckfield and Horam that generally slow things down and tire the legs.

Agree with that, generally. Big climbs are an Event, and on a Fridays ride, a natural re-grouping point. The smaller stuff that spreads out the group is where the real work is.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Cracking ride, despite the weather. And, compared to Manchester, that weather was positively benign (NB: this is relative.....). My feet actually stayed dry this time, though in part that was equipment choices- the heavier weight (actually motorcycle/scooter) and longer rain trousers seem to have deflected water from the boots rather than into them. When the neoprene cuffs on the boots (and probably the Goretex lining as well) were overwhelmed, the outside of my socks got a bit wet as well. The outside of my Sealskinz socks that is- the waterproof membrane did its job. Inner socks and therefore feet remained bone dry. Yay! Hopefully the Shimanos will actually be dry in a couple of days this time....

Evening did not get off to the best start for me. The now-traditional eight minute sprint for next train after work resulted in a fail- bit of faffing on my part did for that- and then the 2208 train got held up at Woking because some moron decided to trespass on the line. So, not into Waterloo till 2345 or so. Not ideal, but still at the NT in plenty of time for the safety talk.

And then, off we went, into the rain. Just for a change, down Brixton Road (I know it so well from many visits to the Academy...), then Crypalberg and Croydon. +1 for @Dogtrousers suggestion to avoid the tramlines. Been there, done that, would rather not do it again, and that roundabout was one of the helpful 'rails all over the shop' variations. Hardly surprising a couple of people came a cropper. Titsey Hill was, er, interesting…heavy mist, steep, and some decidedly sketchy road surfacing over much of its length. Frequent braking and careful line selection were required. Those of us with hydraulic discs were rather grateful for them at that point.

Forest Hill…cracking stop. Our hosts seemed to have prepared enough food for eighty. I gave it a good go, obviously....Though if the flapjack wasn't quite as gooey next time, that would be good. As scrummy as it was, it was a case of 'tear off what you can'. £7 cover charge a ridiculous bargain, I thought a tenner much more reasonable payment.

And then The Wall. I gave up and walked the last part. Grinding away in 34x32 when you have no bailout gear and you don't think you can keep going up that still rising climb? Nah. If walking's going to be faster and easier, do that. Though I obviously intend to come back for a rematch…

By this stage, Tim's ETA of 9am in Eastbourne was already looking forlorn. Despite the last stretch being on the (mostly) flat and (mostly) off-road Cuckoo Trail- part of which I'd ridden before, it's surprisingly not hopeless by Sustrans standards- we didn't make it to the seafront until 10 or so. I had, if the weather had suited, a plan to ride west as far as Worthing or so, and get another ton in. If the time wasn't enough of a disincentive, the weather certainly was- the headwind on the front was brutal. Chapeau to Chris and Nigel for riding on west in those conditions.

On to the (surprisingly disorganised at the bar) Wetherspoons, and many calories. In the sunshine. You git, weather. After the large breakfast and plenty of caffeine, onto the station and the 12.11 Brighton service (the lovely couple with the Pino hopefully found a suitably large niche somewhere, didn't see them at the other end so I don't know if they made it on). On to the next Pompey service as soon as the platform number was on the board, back home at half two or so. And then a nap. I cleaned three bikes this morning…even though the Trek and the Viner weren't anywhere near as bad as the Litespeed, it was a bit of a Herculean labour.

Thanks Tim and everyone else. Hopefully, Whitstable won't be Wetstable again…

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Oh yes: there seems to be an increasing number of titanium gravel bikes on the rides. A Planet X Tempest earlier in the year (nice), which was joined by another on Friday night, along with a Mason Bokeh Ti (oooh!). Not sure if I like being a trendsetter :smile:

hatler

Guru
Nine punctures, three of which were mine, and I had flint-mined my tyres immediately before the ride. I think I've only ever had one FNRttC puncture before. My first was half of a notable double pop. We'd just finished fixing puncture #2 (I think) and as we rolled away the rider whose tyre we'd just fixed and I suffered simultaneous rapid deflations. Another deflation came close to defeating us as the tyre bead appeared to be welded to the rim. It was about 10 minutes before we overcame that one. I was running out of working thumbs towards the end of this ride.

There were three tumbles (Ross in Kennington when trying to leave the road and join the blue bit of CS7, shame about the 4" kerb) and two at the tram tracks.

One bust spoke that left the wheel so out of true that the rider bailed and headed back for East Croydon. (He had the balls to ring his wife in Maidenhead at 3am and ask for a lift home from London Victoria. I didn't hear the conclusion to that one.)

That was a wet one, though it only really rained twice - once from midnight to 3.30 and then again from about 5.45 to 6.30. The first spell was never really torrential; I'd call it heavy, but very persistent. The one saving grace was that it was never cold.

Scout stop was splendid. They'd even laid on a track pump, that was how thoughtful they were. My only regret was that I couldn't eat any more.

Really enjoyed the route, the skip loads of debris washed onto it less so.

After a sneaky beer before leaving Wetherspoons I was onto the noon train to Plumpton and a quick two mile ride back to the caravan at Streat where I made it through to 10pm before crashing.

Thanks to the Fridays and, in particular, Tim for having the determination to make an Eastbourne route work (and that meant finding someone willing to take us in at 4am) and to my fellow TECcer, Ross who was kind enough to provide me two gas canisters and a spare tube (as well as the good company and phlegm to run the back of the ride).

OP
OP
Trickedem

Trickedem

Guru

Yes, it was hilly for a FNRttC, but not terribly so.

The Forest Row scout hut is a five star stop.

Kidd's is a smidge less climb than the Beacon and about the same length. .
Thanks for this. I am keen to avoid the tram tracks next time.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
Thanks for this. I am keen to avoid the tram tracks next time.
My suggested route isn't without its problems though. Going via Featherbed Lane, as we did, gives a smoother gradient. Going via Layham's Road has a few steeper bits in it. Nothing murderous, but from the point of view of keeping a group ride together ... I don't know, it's not a matter I ever have to consider on my own routes, so I'm not very good at thinking about it.

Here are two routes between Elmers End and the junction with Limpsfield Rd.

First the route via Addington Village that we took via Featherbed lane and past the White Bear,
upload_2019-7-22_10-2-22.png

Now the route I normally go via Corkscrew Hill and Layhams Road. You can see it's lumpier as it has some steeper steps between 6 and 7 km (the first bit of Layham's)
upload_2019-7-22_10-1-53.png

Actually it may be better to just stick to Friday's route but use the bike infrastructure at the big roundabout. There are some bike lanes, but I'm not sure about them.

hatler

Guru
There may also have been a drop or two of rain. That may have been the reason for the 9 punctures encountered. Although I think we'll have to bring back in an old rule (no, not the no mudguards one), but a sensible one that suggests bringing along new inner tubes just in case AND NOT ONE WITH 10+ REPAIRS!!!

I think my record is in the 15ish ballpark. In 15 years of 3000+ miles a year I think I've had one, perhaps two patches fail. Tubes go in the bin when the valve stem fails or in instances where a patch on a patch is required.

Last edited:

hatler

Guru
Clothing choice was tricky for this one. I worked on the basis that it wasn't going to be cold, and there is nothing will keep water out of shoes for an extended period.

I wore a s/s jersey and waterproof top and the lightest MTB shorts I possess.

Within half an hour of the ride starting I had achieved steady state (I wasn't getting any colder and the water dripping off equalled the rain being accumulated). My top half was mostly dry (except at the neck and part way up the sleeves). Only on some of the downhill stretches (and then only briefly) was there any hint of chill.

Once it did stop raining I dried out pretty quickly.

I did however have in my pannier : -
  • shorts, boxers and t-shirt for when I got to the van
  • waterproof overtrousers (just in case it was colder than I thought it was going to be)

Top Bottom