FNRttC Friday Night Ride - London to Shoreham - 11th October

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Redlight

Always space for you. Although we are now at 95 riders. However I don't expect that number on Friday, as I'm sure there'll be rain which will make the numbers evaporate a bit.

That is very kind. After battling the torrential rain in the morning and fearsome headwinds along the coast in the afternoon yesterday, I think I can take anything London-Shoreham can chuck at me, so have put in a late entry.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
This ride is probably my favourite out of the Friday rides. The brekkie in the fabulous old Art Deco Airport is simply brilliant.
So have a great ride all. May the dry weather Gods smile upon you all.

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
95 !! Bloomin ' 'eck.

Are first-timers asked how they heard about the Fridays ?

If so, is there a consistent answer amongst the latest round of recruits ?
A couple of times in the last year I've asked the newcomers how they discovered us, and other ride leaders have also emailed and asked. It's fairly consistent that over 2/3 of them are dragged along by a friend who's already done a ride with us, with most of the rest having done the Dunwich Dynamo and have searched for similar night rides. There's always a spike in enquiries after the event in July.

Then you get the odd individual over the years such as Pablo, a spaced out hippy we met cycling along just before Chelsea Bridge, who thought he'd tag along with us as he misheard that we were going to Brixton. And only discovered it was Brighton when we were way out in the countryside.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Then you get the odd individual over the years such as Pablo, a spaced out hippy we met cycling along just before Chelsea Bridge, who thought he'd tag along with us as he misheard that we were going to Brixton. And only discovered it was Brighton when we were way out in the countryside.
Pasquale ;)
And of course, more recently, we had James on the Maldon ride last year...

Redlight

I'm constantly advocating the FNRttC to "keen" cyclists who like the idea of doing something a bit different but are not interested in sportives or (even) Audax. I think for a first-timer it's a big step so it's easy to see why 'coming along with a friend' is a good way to sample it for the first time.

Pale Rider

Legendary Member
I found FnRttC via here and yacf, whilst reading about audax matters. Dunwich Dynamo sounds a bit frantic for me.

The Fridays gets a sniffy response from some of the crusty old audaxers on YACF.

Their self-reliance ethos is offended by safety talks, waymarkers, tail end Charlies and the like.

hatler

Guru
The Fridays gets a sniffy response from some of the crusty old audaxers on YACF.

Their self-reliance ethos is offended by safety talks, waymarkers, tail end Charlies and the like.
I've genuinely never picked up on that vibe on yacf, though it has to be admitted that I am possibly one of life's less sensitive people.

kimble

Veteran
That's a feature of crusty old audaxers, not YACF. Perhaps unsurprisingly for a cycle forum, most of the residents are in favour of people doing bike rides, and there's a strong Fridays presence.

Redlight

I've never noticed any sniffiness, but if there were any lack of enthusiasm for taking part in the FNRttC I suspect it would be more to do with the time that the rides take (compared with a randonee over a similar distance) than anything to do with self-reliance.

Top Bottom