FNRttC Friday Night Ride Manchester-Morecambe 4th August 2017.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wobblers

Euthermic
After food, a shower and, crucially, BEER! I've decided not to sell the bike. Sorry Adrian.

The good news from today's recce:-
  • the roads haven't deteriorated since last year and a few of them have been improved
  • the section between Ribchester and Scorton (and beyond) is just lovely
  • Tottington to Shadsworth would probably also have been excellent if it weren't for the rain and the puncture
Other things that I noticed:-
  • parts of this route are very busy in daylight: Cheetham is like the Wild West and the Grane Road is like a race track
  • Whitebirk McDonald's has the most expensive coffee of any McDonald's that I've been in (and I visit a lot)
The ride.
It started off well. The rain had stopped before I left home and I got to Albert Square about 09.50. The Manchester Jazz Festival is on (nice) so there is a lot of fencing in the square. We should meet outside of it in line with the town hall entrance and near the taxi rank.
The route out of the city centre is still OK and we cross the tram tracks at a right angle.
Up towards Cheetham Hill, through Whitefield and into Bury (a nod to Alan S/jogler) was also as expected although it seemed to be hard work.
The light drizzle turned to heavy drizzle and then proper rain as I climbed out of Tottington so I stopped to put on my waterproof. A few hundred metres later, I stopped again to pump up a softening rear tyre. It wasn't going down very quickly so I figured that I could make it to the McDonalds with one or two further re-inflations. As it happened, it made it with just the one although the tyre was bumping on the rim by the time I arrived.
The wind on the tops above Crowthorne and then going down the Grane Road was quite something and the rain was probably at its hardest at this stage.
A coffee at the McDonalds lifted morale (the veggie burger didn't) and I fixed the rear puncture. Since I couldn't find anything in the tyre, I had to put a new tube in and hope for the best. Before I left, I grabbed a load of paper towels and wiped the table and floor (I'd dripped a lot and there were still bits of sealant from when I was running the tyre tubeless) and then I found the mop and did the floor again. The cleaner still looked pissed off with me despite everything being cleaner than it had been when I arrived.
Out into the rain again and the bike was running like a dream, thankfully. The descent to Ribchester was great; so nice to do it in daylight and not to be out-riding my lights. The rain had also stopped by this stage and I stopped to take off the waterproof on the climb to Longridge (I should have removed it before I started climbing).
The next bit of the ride:- Longridge-Inglewhite-Scorton-Condor Green- was just lovely; swoopy lanes and terrific views (we'll be doing it in daylight).
Even the 1st bit of the coastal path from Conder Green was great but then I had a front puncture.. Despite lots of looking and pumping of the tube, I couldn't locate a hole and there was nothing sticking through the tyre so I put a new tube in. It pumped up OK so I put the tools away and was about to replace the wheel when there was a pssssst and the tyre went down again.
I didn't fancy my chances of finding the hole in the new tube and a host of bastard flies were plaguing me (one did manage to get a bite of my calf) so I decided to bike hike to Lancaster reasoning that, if I got a move on, I'd make it for my train. I got there with 5 minutes to spare.
Back at MCR Oxford Road, I took the tyre off again and managed to find a hole in the tube. It was on the rim side and was caused, I think, by the rim tape moving and allowing a spoke hole to make contact.
I couldn't slide the tape because it was too tight and it wasn't possible to remove and replace it because it was joined by adhesive. I legged it to Harry Hall's cycle shop, not easy with a bike on one shoulder and a wheel and tyre in the other hand, and got there 10 minutes before they closed. New rim tape purchased, they let me fix the puncture while they cashed up (the mechanic even showed me a tip for getting the tyre on more easily) and use their track pump.
Problems sorted I thought, home in 15 minutes. That didn't happen, another front puncture after about 2 miles. Wheel off, tube out and the patch that I'd previously applied looked to be bulging although I couldn't feel or hear any air coming out. I got one of my other tubes, found the hole, patched it, replaced everything and then set off. One mile later, it was flat again.
Bike hike again, this time all the way home. I'm not sure of the distance.
ICn'tBA to investigate the problems when I got in so it'll have to wait until tomorrow pm.
On the way home from work I'm going to pop into Decathlon to get some of their sealants (they've worked for me in the past) and for more tubes.
Then I'll be having a good look at the front wheel. I might be using a spare on Friday night.

As I said up-thread, I'd like to think that I've suffered so you don't have to but it doesn't work that way.
Fingers crossed for drier weather and a less "eventful" ride.

I had expected to be saying that no Strava PBs were affected during the making of this production but it seems that either my legs were working better than I thought or, more likely, there really was a tailwind.

In other news, battery charging has commenced.

I'll post an updated ride list tomorrow.
Sorry you can't make it Kim.

That's a bit ... epic. Well done! I have another engagement otherwise I'd be joining you, alas. Good luck for tonight, and may it stay dry.

OP
OP
Andrew Br

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Who else is arriving at 23:50?

If you're still reading this Tacey, don't worry. You'll be met at the station and whisked off to the start.
We'll not leave without you
Having missed my train due to bike malfunction, I'll now be on the 2040 arriving 2250.

Oh, I'll be on a different bike too :rolleyes:

It's a different excuse every year :whistle:.
We'll be waiting for you :hello:.

OP
OP
Andrew Br

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Sorry but I'm out. I've just about cobbled all my kit together and was due out in the next 5 mins, but I've just been hit by another tiredness wave after my LEL exploits, and I'm not sure I'm awake enough even to get to the station, never mind ride all night. It wouldn't be fair on the rest of you if I wasn't able to cope.

Sorry @Tacey, I was supposed to be holding back to ride with you to the start. I've texted @Andrew Br and I'm sure he will sort things out.

Also, can you all please take a moment out to remember alan_s at the bus stop please. He was a good friend of mine and I really would have liked to pay my respects again but it's not possible.

Thanks for letting us know mcshroom and sleep well.
We'll be stopping to remember Alan/jogler in Bury.
I already have the flowers.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Sorry but I'm out. I've just about cobbled all my kit together and was due out in the next 5 mins, but I've just been hit by another tiredness wave after my LEL exploits, and I'm not sure I'm awake enough even to get to the station, never mind ride all night. It wouldn't be fair on the rest of you if I wasn't able to cope.

Sorry @Tacey, I was supposed to be holding back to ride with you to the start. I've texted @Andrew Br and I'm sure he will sort things out.

Also, can you all please take a moment out to remember alan_s at the bus stop please. He was a good friend of mine and I really would have liked to pay my respects again but it's not possible.
You will be missed, but the right decision. Bail-out options limited to non-existent & that kip will be well deserved.
In other news, 3/8 of the ride is on the 2040 train north.

OP
OP
Andrew Br

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Right, I'm off to the station.
It seems very warm outside but I've still opted to wear knee-warmers.
Can't be too careful at my age.

See you all later.

kimble

Veteran
It's just starting to drizzle in Clitheroe. I don't think it will amount to anything. Have a good ride everyone.

(PS. What was the name of the cafe that did the excellent halfway stop the year of the apocalyptic rain? Might be worth a pootle to tomorrow.)

OP
OP
Andrew Br

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
We're at the McDonald's. We've arrived in good style and we've been blessed with excellent weather so far.
Some of us are on our 2nd coffee.
It's going to be cold when we set off but there's always the climb to Longridge to warm us up.....

OP
OP
Andrew Br

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
We have, thanks nickboy. The sun was beating down in Morecambe. We're now in the Wetherspoons in Lancaster eating breakfast.
It's just gone beer o' clock and we've despatched Gordon P to get a round in. Lancaster Black, as has become the custom.
It's been a fabulous night and no ambulances were required.

Last edited:

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
How many took part in this ride Andrew, out of interest?

We have, the sun was beating down in Morecambe. We're now in the Wetherspoons in Lancaster eating breakfast.
It's just gone beer o' clock and we've despatched Gordon P to get a round in. Lancaster Black, as has become the custom.
It's been a fabulous night and no ambulances were required.

Bazzer

Setting the controls for the heart of the sun.
Andrew, once again thanks for leading the ride and going through the aggravation and discomfort of the recce.
I thought your steady pace on the flat sections helped the group enormously and even on the lumpy bits I don't think we got too strung out.
And to those who said they struggled with hills, you didn't give in to any of them. Chapeau! :highfive:

Top Bottom