FNRttC Friday Night Ride Manchester-Morecambe 4th August 2017.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Or use the Hull Trains or Trans Pennine web sites (plus a couple of others), and then you can book a bike space at the same time.

The 20.40 service, arriving 22:48 has 2 seats left at £27 (before any railcard discounts), and there are still 2 bike reservations available on that service.

Tacey

Über Member
Virgin West Coast (the actual operator) won't let you reserve cycle spaces online.
Virgin East Coast…does. Euston-Manchester ticket with bike space booked, £22....
No cheap tickets from Lancaster as yet, it seems....
Thanks, Stu. This is a top tip. Am now booked on the 21.40 going from Euston, arriving at Manch Picc 23.50.

OP
OP
Andrew Br

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Sorry for the delay, but here's the info to sign up for the ride:-

Register for the ride by e-mailing: manchester-morecambe@outlook.com

I'll need:-
The ride is 65 miles long and we head out of Manchester to Bury and then Tottington. This part of the ride is mostly up long, gradual climbs on urban roads.
After Tottington we climb onto the moors above Egerton. Apart from one short, steep ramp, the gradients are relatively benign and the roads are very quiet.
We reach 350m above sea level before a long, long descent to Blackburn and the (not quite) half-way stop at the McDonalds in Whitebirk.
Suitably refreshed, we have a further brief spell of suburbia, before another epic descent to Ribchester. This is followed by the last significant climb of the ride, the drag to Longridge.
The rest of the route is best described as "rolling" and we tend to ride this as a fairly compact group.
Weather permitting, we'll skirt Lancaster by using the coastal path and head to Morecambe by the bike route built on an old railway line.
After pictures with Eric, we'll return to Lancaster for breakfast in a Wetherspoons. It's about 5 minutes by bike from the station.

It's the same procedure as last year, the same procedure as every year.

Please feel free to ask questions either here or via e-mail.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Sorry for the delay, but here's the info to sign up for the ride:-

Register for the ride by e-mailing: manchester-morecambe@outlook.com

I'll need:-
The ride is 65 miles long and we head out of Manchester to Bury and then Tottington. This part of the ride is mostly up long, gradual climbs on urban roads.
After Tottington we climb onto the moors above Egerton. Apart from one short, steep ramp, the gradients are relatively benign and the roads are very quiet.
We reach 350m above sea level before a long, long descent to Blackburn and the (not quite) half-way stop at the McDonalds in Whitebirk.
Suitably refreshed, we have a further brief spell of suburbia, before another epic descent to Ribchester. This is followed by the last significant climb of the ride, the drag to Longridge.
The rest of the route is best described as "rolling" and we tend to ride this as a fairly compact group.
Weather permitting, we'll skirt Lancaster by using the coastal path and head to Morecambe by the bike route built on an old railway line.
After pictures with Eric, we'll return to Lancaster for breakfast in a Wetherspoons. It's about 5 minutes by bike from the station.

It's the same procedure as last year, the same procedure as every year.

Please feel free to ask questions either here or via e-mail.
Email sent.

Tacey

Über Member
I know this isn't related but I'm sure there are dozens reading this keen to show off their knowse.

I have a pal who is cycling along Hadrian's Wall with some mates and having sleepless nights about booking cycling places. His route is Milton Keynes to Carlisle & then Carlisle to Bowness on Solway. Any advice?

toffee

Guru
Well if he is cycling Milton Keynes to Carlisle he is lost^_^^_^

We cycled the Hadrian's wall Cycleway last year and had no problem with b&b's in Carlisle and hexham.

wanda2010

Guru
Question: Can I take the wheels off, put frame and wheels in a bag as luggage? Guess who forgot to book a bike res and there's no space on the 1940 out :ohmy::rolleyes:

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Can I take the wheels off, put frame and wheels in a bag as luggage?
I have seen this done. A chap removed the wheels and put them in a large blue Ikea bag and put the remaining frame upside down in the guard's van. I asked the guard if this was OK and he it was because the steel frame without wheels didn't count as a bicycle. Later I saw the wheels on the train in the luggage rack above the aforesaid cyclist. This was going King's Cross to York.
To be clear - it was the wheels that went in a bag and on to the train as hand luggage and the bike, not a in a bag, in the guard's van.
You might get a different guard, obvs. I'd have thought a bag made of bin liners taped together with the wheels inside all wrapped up with parcel tape wouldn't count as a bike, but as an odd-shaped piece of luggage.

YMMV obvs.

wanda2010

Guru
Thanks for the input all. I have an Ikea bag, but the bin liners have a certain appeal. I'll try both options over the weekend then decide.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
@ianmac62 and I turned some bin liners into simple bags to drop over the bike when we used a coach to get back from Santiago de Compostela in Spain to Santander: we cut the bin liners down the sides then taped them together. Coach driver was happy. You need it to last long enough to get it from the platform into the guards van, if it immediately falls to bits it won't matter. Innit.

Top Bottom