FNRttC Friday Night Ride to Bognor - Friday 15th July

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TimO

Guru
... The TECs managed to miss a waymarker, thus enforcing another break for most of us ...
Actually we didn't, @Flying Dodo thought he knew where the end of the ride was, but didn't, and no waymarker was placed on the requisite junction! All four of us in the end group agreed that we couldn't have possibly missed a marker, and it turned out that we didn't !

... and didn't we have to wait for you lot, at the regrouping point? :rolleyes:

Same time next week? :smile:
Indeed, I'm ready.:hyper:

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Actually we didn't, @Flying Dodo thought he knew where the end of the ride was, but didn't, and no waymarker was placed on the requisite junction! All four of us in the end group agreed that we couldn't have possibly missed a marker, and it turned out that we didn't !

... and didn't we have to wait for you lot, at the regrouping point? :rolleyes:
I stand corrected.

hatler

Guru
What a glorious evening. And the simplest ride a TEC has surely ever had. Not a single mechanical or puncture. @Tim Hall and @TimO were co-TECers and this was a lovely pay-back for all those punctures we've had to fix over the years.

As all-upper I have to hold my hand up to having missed @Eddie_C in Tooting Broadway. Sterling chap that he is he decided to mark the turn where we normally turn left to make sure no one did turn left. Because I knew we were heading straight down the A24 it never occurred to me to look out for someone marking a non-turn. Still, if we hadn't had that enforced wait in downtown Morden then we would simply have had longer standing outside the Cabin Cafe.

In a slightly disturbing mirror of @Fab Foodie's journey through the past, this was broadly similar for me. In Morden we passed by the traffic island-come-shrubbery where, many years ago after a long night on the beer, I had decided to relieve myself after a too-long tube journey. Fifteen seconds in to what turned out to be a two minute exercise a tannoy crackled into life - "Put it away !!" boomed the copper's voice.

Then shortly afterwards past the row of shops where there used to be a KFC which was my treat for those occasions when I'd missed the last train back to Ewell and had to walk from Morden. Next onto the Ewell by-pass with the roof of my parents' old house just in view alongside Ewell Castle school. Into Epsom which used to be a bus ride from our home in Banstead to get to the 'proper' shops and through which I used to tear down the High Street chasing the 164 bus which was scheduled to leave about one minute before my train home from school in Wimbledon was scheduled to arrive.

The climb to the Downs past my dentist just next to the fire station (still the only dentist I have ever been to). Epsom Downs, scene of countless viewings of the Derby and my first bet on the horses (Stintino, two bob each way - he came in third to Nijinsky in the 1970 running and I got my four bob back), and where we used to go for a walk on a Sunday to watch the radio controlled planes, and about half a mile from my first two schools (the second of which used to close on Derby Day). Round Tattenham Corner to the switchback road, scene of one of the few regrets I have. As a five year old I use to accompany my dad on his site visits in the Summer. There's a pipeline which runs near there and he was checking that it wasn't rusting. Whilst there the route-checker arrived in a Bell X47 helicopter (the one with a perspex bubble front) and offered to take me up for a jolly. I was too scared. Regretted that moment ever since.

After the switchback the road swings left under a railway bridge and that's where I used to get off the bus to take me to my first job in a seaweed products research lab. Down the hill and past the house where I bought my first car (a Mark II MG Midget). Up the next hill and past a house where I was at a party which was gate-crashed by some hoodlums who kicked off the biggest punch up I have ever witnessed, bottles being broken over people's heads, the works. Straight after that we passed through the countryside which my cub pack used to criss-cross on sponsored walks.

Back to the present. The ride just kept rolling. No-one seemed to be struggling, the night was balmy, the conversation flowed and before we knew it we were at the Cafe. Standard (and very welcome) fare, though I really should take a tip out of @User's book and order two cups of tea on the first visit to the counter. Out into the dawn for the second half of the ride and it became apparent that Friday night/Saturday morning must have been the equivalent of the slugs' new year celebrations. They were all over the place, and by the time the ride was over they too were all over, all over our bikes. I think I ended up with the ejected remains of one on one of my forearms at Storrington. Yeucchhh.

Storrington, yes. That wasn't actually on the route. Shortly after a re-group, four of us set off a little after the others (rack-pack packing was the cause of the delay) so we were not in sight of the group. When we got to the deserted right turn for West Chiltington Tim Hall remarked that we had turned right there on a previous run to Felpham, but given that @Flying Dodo has taken us on all manner of new route variations recently we didn't question it for a moment. A few miles further on we arrived at a roundabout without a waymarker in sight. A quick phone call determined where the respective groups were and a rendez-vous arranged. Thence to Bury Hill. My first time up there. The traffic issue on the hill isn't too much of an issue because there are two lanes going up. It's the stretch immediately before it which I found a little unpleasant - too high a proportion of the nerks in cars were hugely inconsiderate and thoroughly arseholeish. Really poor standards of driving on display.

Bury Hill is a bit of a slog, but the views are spectacular. I never fail to be surprised (and you think I would have been over this by now) at how quickly you gain elevation on a bike. You start at the bottom of a hyuuuge looking hill, put your head down, focus on the tarmac ten yards ahead and just keep pedalling. When you look to the side at the scenery it's always a surprise quite how far up you have propelled yourself. Doesn't make the hill seem any shorter though.

Not much more to report beyond that. A glorious downhill, picture postcard views, mile after mile of flat cycling and then the wonder that is a Lobster Pot breakfast, followed up by a double scoop blackcurrant clotted cream and honey & stem ginger ice cream.

Oh yes, and a couple of beers in town. The perfect day continued with all three of the trains I needed to catch to get me back to Hassocks not only all turning up, but turning up exactly on schedule. The ride ended with a gentle meander through the lanes and bridleways back to the caravan where Lu and Joe had just arrived. Doesn't get any better than that.

Thanks, thanks and thanks again to Adam for organising this ride (and all the others) and also to all of you who are such great company.

Last edited:

Tim Hall

Bits I remember

A tricolour hanging from a window somewhere near Lavender Hill.
Fire juggling on Clapham Common.
The rider with the "Lawrence of Arabia" headgear under his cycling cap.
New riders.
Having my front light go out as I went down Pebble Hill.
Chatting to Surrey's finest, explaining what we were doing and being told they'd spread the word, so their colleagues could keep an eye out.
Seeing the sort of car you can buy if you open your transport cafe up at stupid o'clock.
Wondering whether we should knock on @GrumpyGregry 's door.
The delightful lanes south of Horsham.
Finding that Bury Hill isn't as bad as I feared.
Finding that Bury Hill isn't as bad as @User13710 feared.
Kippers and scrambled egg for brekko.
Ice cream as second brekko.

Brilliant ride, thanks everyone. A few snaps.

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
Following the realisation last week that the A24 through Dorking was likely to be shut, I started looking around for alternative routes which we hadn't used this year. Bearing in mind the weather was expected to be good, I didn't really want to go through Sutton High Street, in order to avoid any drunken mishaps (not from the riders of course), so thought a cut across through Epsom would be fun. So on Friday afternoon I quickly zoomed along the route from Epsom High Street to Betchworth which all seemed very pleasant, and then headed back to Hyde Park Corner. Surprisingly, I was getting quite a few texts on the day from people dropping out, which was a shame, as they missed out on a lovely ride.

At Hyde Park Corner, as midnight approached, it is quite amazing watching the roads to see just how many people are driving around. Mad fools - they should be cycling. Setting off, being a small group we all got into Belgravia in one block following my new route of going onto Upper Belgrave Street and then turning right towards Sloane Square. After the little mishap mentioned above with Eddie getting missed we were then heading out along the A24. At Epsom, it's a bit of a drag heading up to the racecourse, but it's certainly a lovely view, both of the course and looking back over central London.

After giving a warning for everyone to avoid the edges heading down Pebble Hill Road to Betchworth, we were then on more familiar roads heading to Faygate. Despite a light headwind and deliberately trying not to go too fast, we did seem to eat up the miles. A bit like the slugs we came across. It must have rained at some point during the day, which encouraged the slugs to come out, meaning a number had got squashed by cars, so other slugs were coming along and eating the remnants. We'd regularly see a black slodge of a squashed slug in the road with about 5 or 6 slugs congregated around, plus loads of single slugs wandering about, meaning you had to keep dodging them, to avoid a slug being rapidly ejected forwards off your front tyre. Tasty.

Despite the above, we ended up getting to Faygate early at around 3:45, and once everyone was ready to go again, when we stepped outside again it was daylight. Everything was going like clockwork, waymarkers stopping off, and then zooming back again for more, until I made a mistake. I'd stopped the ride for a re-group just before the turn for West Chiltington, as I always felt it was a bit anti-social stopping for a re-group actually at the junction, bearing in mind the cottages opposite always have their window open, and so probably wouldn't appreciate a group of chatting cyclists hanging around. Setting off again, as we turned I could see the back end so declined the kind offer from someone to mark the junction, which was entirely my fault as unknown to me, the tail end hadn't actually set off and so didn't see us turn and assumed we'd carried straight on. Fortunately @Tim Hall was on the case and rang me, and after conferring, we worked out where he was, and he even sent a link showing his location - Glympse is a handy app!

Once reunited, we set off for the second diversion of the night, up Bury Hill, courtesy of the suggestion of @Shadow to go via Greatham, which has a lovely old bridge. The hill doesn't really have any redeeming features (as the first part of the surface isn't particularly good), other than the fact there are 2 lanes, so most of the time I stayed at the back with my rear light flashing, so that cars drivers had plenty of notice to move over. Well done to those who conquered it. And of course what goes up, must come down, and here you do get a lovely descent down into Arundel, which hopefully balanced out the climb. And of course, as promised, by then there was glorious sunshine, meaning there was just the 8 miles of flat countryside, past all the UKIP bungalows, to the splendid breakfast at the Lobster Pot.

Thanks to everyone for coming along and making this a really great ride and special thanks to @Tim Hall, @TimO and @hatler and all the waymarkers for their assistance.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Bits I remember

A tricolour hanging from a window somewhere near Lavender Hill.
Fire juggling on Clapham Common.
The rider with the "Lawrence of Arabia" headgear under his cycling cap.
New riders.
Having my front light go out as I went down Pebble Hill.
Chatting to Surrey's finest, explaining what we were doing and being told they'd spread the word, so their colleagues could keep an eye out.
Seeing the sort of car you can buy if you open your transport cafe up at stupid o'clock.
Wondering whether we should knock on @GrumpyGregry 's door.
The delightful lanes south of Horsham.
Finding that Bury Hill isn't as bad as I feared.
Finding that Bury Hill isn't as bad as @User13710 feared.
Kippers and scrambled egg for brekko.
Ice cream as second brekko.

Brilliant ride, thanks everyone. A few snaps.
I would have been quite grumpy I reckon, even for me.

rb58

Enigma
Fabulous photos @Tim Hall

A most splendid ride. I loved the Epsom Downs variation and the switchback road. Although there were clearly all sorts of shenanigans going on in the car park over the road from the race course. My favourite was the dark stretch through the Newdigate Triangle (a bit like the Bermuda Triangle, but for bikes) where I was reminded of the time @ianrauk , @Michael Adu and I missed a turning (no way marker) and had travelled a good three or four miles before we realised. What followed was possibly the fastest FNRttC chase down in history to try and catch the ride before it got to Faygate and all the bread pudding had gone. Oh, how we laughed!

A beautiful morning too, delivering a fabulous view from the top of Bury Hill. Almost made the climb worth it.

I had a million chores lined up for Saturday so had to forego the Lobster Pot breakfast and make do with a bacon sandwich from Littlehampton station kiosk (actually pretty good), before jumping on a train. Which ran on time.

Great to ride with you all. Really appreciate the prep and on-the-night efforts of @Flying Dodo and his little helpers. It's really appreciated - thank you. And I'm amazed how you managed to organise such beautiful morning weather - I can't remember the last time I got home from a ride and didn't have to clean the bike - not even a squashed slug.

See you next time.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
What a glorious evening. And the simplest ride a TEC has surely ever had. Not a single mechanical or puncture. @Tim Hall and @TimO were co-TECers and this was a lovely pay-back for all those punctures we've had to fix over the years.

As all-upper I have to hold my hand up to having missed @Eddie_C in Tooting Broadway. Sterling chap that he is he decided to mark the turn where we normally turn left to make sure no one did turn left. Because I knew we were heading straight down the A24 it never occurred to me to look out for someone marking a non-turn. Still, if we hadn't had that enforced wait in downtown Morden then we would simply have had longer standing outside the Cabin Cafe.

In a slightly disturbing mirror of @Fab Foodie's journey through the past, this was broadly similar for me. In Morden we passed by the traffic island-come-shrubbery where, many years ago after a long night on the beer, I had decided to relieve myself after a too-long tube journey. Fifteen seconds in to what turned out to be a two minute exercise a tannoy crackled into life - "Put it away !!" boomed the copper's voice.

Then shortly afterwards past the row of shops where there used to be a KFC which was my treat for those occasions when I'd missed the last train back to Ewell and had to walk from Morden. Next onto the Ewell by-pass with the roof of my parents' old house just in view alongside Ewell Castle school. Into Epsom which used to be a bus ride from our home in Banstead to get to the 'proper' shops and through which I used to tear down the High Street chasing the 164 bus which was scheduled to leave about one minute before my train home from school in Wimbledon was scheduled to arrive.

The climb to the Downs past my dentist just next to the fire station (still the only dentist I have ever been to). Epsom Downs, scene of countless viewings of the Derby and my first bet on the horses (Stintino, two bob each way - he came in third to Nijinsky in the 1970 running and I got my four bob back), and where we used to go for a walk on a Sunday to watch the radio controlled planes, and about half a mile from my first two schools (the second of which used to close on Derby Day). Round Tattenham Corner to the switchback road, scene of one of the few regrets I have. As a five year old I use to accompany my dad on his site visits in the Summer. There's a pipeline which runs near there and he was checking that it wasn't rusting. Whilst there the route-checker arrived in a Bell X47 helicopter (the one with a perspex bubble front) and offered to take me up for a jolly. I was too scared. Regretted that moment ever since.

After the switchback the road swings left under a railway bridge and that's where I used to get off the bus to take me to my first job in a seaweed products research lab. Down the hill and past the house where I bought my first car (a Mark II MG Midget). Up the next hill and past a house where I was at a party which was gate-crashed by some hoodlums who kicked off the biggest punch up I have ever witnessed, bottles being broken over people's heads, the works. Straight after that we passed through the countryside which my cub pack used to criss-cross on sponsored walks.

Back to the present. The ride just kept rolling. No-one seemed to be struggling, the night was balmy, the conversation flowed and before we knew it we were at the Cafe. Standard (and very welcome) fare, though I really should take a tip out of @User's book and order two cups of tea on the first visit to the counter. Out into the dawn for the second half of the ride and it became apparent that Friday night/Saturday morning must have been the equivalent of the slugs' new year celebrations. They were all over the place, and by the time the ride was over they too were all over, all over our bikes. I think I ended up with the ejected remains of one on one of my forearms at Storrington. Yeucchhh.

Storrington, yes. That wasn't actually on the route. Shortly after a re-group, four of us set off a little after the others (rack-pack packing was the cause of the delay) so we were not in sight of the group. When we got to the deserted right turn for West Chiltington Tim Hall remarked that we had turned right there on a previous run to Felpham, but given that @Flying Dodo has taken us on all manner of new route variations recently we didn't question it for a moment. A few miles further on we arrived at a roundabout without a waymarker in sight. A quick phone call determined where the respective groups were and a rendez-vous arranged. Thence to Bury Hill. My first time up there. The traffic issue on the hill isn't too much of an issue because there are two lanes going up. It's the stretch immediately before it which I found a little unpleasant - too high a proportion of the nerks in cars were hugely inconsiderate and thoroughly arseholeish. Really poor standards of driving on display.

Bury Hill is a bit of a slog, but the views are spectacular. I never fail to be surprised (and you think I would have been over this by now) at how quickly you gain elevation on a bike. You start at the bottom of a hyuuuge looking hill, put your head down, focus on the tarmac ten yards ahead and just keep pedalling. When you look to the side at the scenery it's always a surprise quite how far up you have propelled yourself. Doesn't make the hill seem any shorter though.

Not much more to report beyond that. A glorious downhill, picture postcard views, mile after mile of flat cycling and then the wonder that is a Lobster Pot breakfast, followed up by a double scoop blackcurrant clotted cream and honey & stem ginger ice cream.

Oh yes, and a couple of beers in town. The perfect day continued with all three of the trains I needed to catch to get me back to Hassocks not only all turning up, but turning up exactly on schedule. The ride ended with a gentle meander through the lanes and bridleways back to the caravan where Lu and Joe had just arrived. Doesn't get any better than that.

Thanks, thanks and thanks again to Adam for organising this ride (and all the others) and also to all of you who are such great company.
That seaweed research place in Tadworth .... the former Yardley perfumes building, was it called Alginate Industries? If so it was the same place I worked as Kelco International .... small world!

hatler

Guru
The very same. It was a rather lurid green when I was there. The previous tenant had left behind a decent sized jar of lumps of sodium in oil. The Alginate Industries Ltd management team didn't know what to do with it and were a little concerned about how they might set about disposing of it. I relieved them of that anxiety. They were bought out by an American company whilst I was there and I think they moved out shortly afterwards.

I worked there for a year straight after leaving school, Summer '79 to Summer '80. When were you there ?

Small world indeed.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
The very same. It was a rather lurid green when I was there. The previous tenant had left behind a decent sized jar of lumps of sodium in oil. The Alginate Industries Ltd management team didn't know what to do with it and were a little concerned about how they might set about disposing of it. I relieved them of that anxiety. They were bought out by an American company whilst I was there and I think they moved out shortly afterwards.

I worked there for a year straight after leaving school, Summer '79 to Summer '80. When were you there ?

Small world indeed.
I was there around '89 from memory. Like you, only for a year. I liked the building though, designed either by Richard Rogers or Norman Foster IIRC. Kelco was the San Diego company that bought AI and were in charge when I was there.

hatler

Guru
I was there around '89 from memory. Like you, only for a year. I liked the building though, designed either by Richard Rogers or Norman Foster IIRC. Kelco was the San Diego company that bought AI and were in charge when I was there.
Ooo. I hadn't realised the place was run by Kelco for so long.

There wasn't still a golf-mad Scot called Bill working there was there ?

Gordon P

There's no Calvados? I'll have a beer or a whisky
I agree with all the above positive comments about the ride and appreciation of @Flying Dodo 's prep and creativity.
Having felt unusually sleepy and chilly during the night I was tending towards getting the train home. @Eddie_C however was set on getting his monthly ton under his belt and eventually his cajoling and persuading wore @mllond and me down: perhaps we felt guilty about him making his lonely solo ride.
We negotiated that 20 miles to Pulborough would do and set off for about 70 mins of wonderfully warm sunny cycling. Yes we got lost in the suburban Felpham back streets but I sorted my Garmin to follow our overnight track in reverse. Eddie paced us back up Bury Hill for more glorious views and another rapid descent and we flew to arrive at the station for the 1053. There we found two TEC Tims... Thanks @Eddie_C , it was a fine climax to the night

clivedb

Guru
Thanks very much to Adam in particular - and to everyone else who got this show on the road.

I have been on a few Fridays rides that have been that warm and it does make for a very pleasant experience. Weird that just a few weeks ago in June it was colder than that in the middle of the day!

Anyhow, as ever it was a great ride - Bognor is a favourite for me - partly because it takes me back into childhood memories and familiar places. The ride unfolded very smoothly and steadily - as evidenced by the lack of work for the TECs. Some lovely country lanes after Epsom and a magical moment when the sun came out in the Sussex countryside. The last time I can remember cycling up Bury Hill was when I was about 16 - a very long time in the past! - and it seems to have got considerably steeper. But I had Gordon and Newfoundhouse (Nick) to show me the way up, which was encouraging.

It was good to have a chat with Fabfoodie on his Brompton, although it has only been subsequently that I realised who it was and now wonder if he has a 'real' name. Good to see old friends and have an enjoyable chat with Nick on the train back to East Croydon.

I went back to Marilyn's and then returned to East Croydon on Sunday evening to get a train back to Milton Keynes - and there was Adrian getting off the train from Brighton - had he lost a day, I wondered?
Clive

Top Bottom