FNRttC Friday Night Ride to Bognor - Friday 15th July

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

TimO

Guru
LOL, caught eating my post-breakfast ice cream !

An excellent ride. I think I'd done most of that route before, although not necessarily in the same ride. The weather was fine. I've had FNRttCs with similar weather in the past, but it's still very nice when it happens again. Unusually I actually managed to eat all of my sandwich at the Cabin Cafe, a first, and the Lobster Pot breakfast was also very well received, with many people moving onto cake and ice cream.

It was a spectacularly mechanical issues free ride. As far as I know we had no fairy visitations, and at worst a small handful of very minor mechanical issues, such as when my chain came off the chainring, which took about 10 seconds to sort out. TECing was exceptionally easy. ^_^

Even leaving relatively early, and not hanging around for any yellow or brown beer, the train home inevitably became a bit stupid at Gatwick, and it took some manoeuvring for me to get my bike off of the train at East Croydon.

Zev has been fed her very late breakfast, and I'm going to crash out shortly.

A GPS track and very small handful of photographs will probably appear later, but others will have far better ones than I.

As always thanks to everyone who helped with the preparation, organisation, and operation of the ride, as well as those who attend and just make the FNRttCs the friendly Friday evening, night and Saturday morning that they always are. :bravo:

theclaud

Openly Marxist
And ... I got up Bury Hill :dance:.
Result!

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Oh what a night .... as the song goes ....

Fabulous, absolutely fabulous dahlings.

Firstly, big thanks to all those that helped organise, recce'd, waymarked and tec'd. My pal Peter made the point afterwards that people must put a lot of effort into making something run so smoothly and appear so effortless. He's right and we appreciate it.

So where to begin. I'd driven back from Orleans that morning (been away since Sunday night) and parked-up at the MIL's in Morden, freshened-up, ate some tea and around 1830 rode 'up town' to meet Peter at Paddington around 1930. The evening was pleasantly warm, heavy even. The traffic calm and weaving around London's streets was pure joy. My inner child was awaking. Apon our rendevouz, some whizzing around London, proper food and some brown beer was in order. China Town provided a fab takeaway and Trafalgar Square a suitable eating venue. Afterwards, more childish zooming around in the trafficto All Bar One at Shad Thames for a pint or two as we watched the sun goe down and the lights go on. Riding back towards HPC over Westminster Bridge, Parliment was resplendent in Red White and Blue stripes as was Charing Cross Station in honour of the Nice incident ....Chapeau!

We congregated, shouted stuff and gesticulated in the time honoured manner, set-off, watered the trees on Clapham Common and then down the Northern line to Morden, Cheam, Epsom, Tadworth, and beyond....
Apart from the fact that down to Morden was already tracing my earlier evening route, this first part of the Journey covers my personal history from 1982 to somewhere around 1993 or so. As such it's is very dear to me viz:
Started London life in Clapham in 1982 and South Bank Poly as the Heffalump and Castle
Went out with and Married a girl from Morden
Started work in Leatherhead and lived in a bedsit in Burg Heath road Epsom (the climb to the downs - we went the easy way)
Next job was at BOC Morden in Deer Park Road which we passed
Next Job was with Kelco in Tadworth .... which we passed
My Biochem Degree was done part time at NESCOT...which we passed
Memories, memories ahhhh....

On with the ride. I was on the recently modified Brompton (double chainring) and all was well until we we'd descended Pebble Hill* and rolled towards Faygate. I was starting to feel quite tired after a long week and the absolutely dreadful road surfaces were starting to take their toll. The Brompton's fine as long as the going is reasonably smooth, but rough tarmac makes for a rattly and jarring experience with an already tired body. I rolled-on buoyed by good company most often the TEC's with whom I spent a lot of my time riding at the back. I was ever happy to see a regroup, time to stretch and get to the front of the pack for the next restart to inevitably end at the back by the next.
The legendary Faygate Bread pud and 2 Mugs of tea refueled a stiff body and the lightness of the approaching dawn helped lift my spirits. After some 30 minutes or so, I seemed to get a second wind at last (pardon all). The light increased, the greyness parted and the scenery came alive. The road still parlous continued to batter me, but I reckon I had it beat now. I also made the good company of @Shadow and another local gent on a hybrid. We chatted along nicely, the morning and scenery evolved and tips on the infamous Bury Hill were provided. The ribbon of blue beyond the hill spoke of a pot of gold beyond the rainbow.
What makes this such a great ride is how an increasingly spectacular landscape evolves as the sun rises and the route rolls on. Close to Bury Hill I manually transferred the chain onto the inner 34 tooth cog and practiced my spinning. Bury Hill was fab .... hard, but fab. The joy is the scenery to your left evolving with every new gap in the hedge that appears. The climb IS pretty hard, the road surface on a Brompton is absolutely unbearable, but this is more than compensated for by the views and then .... the descent! * Chapeau to John M on the standard geared Brompton for making it up without walking .... it was hard enough on my cheats version.
The last 8 miles into Felpham were an optimistic roll, we could smell the bacon, the challenge was over, the night was taken. And what a reward! Beautiful clear hot sun, brilliant blue and green ocean. The Lobster put a delight, good brekkie, relaxing by the seaside, chatting, sharing the rum ration. Beer was mentioned and a suitable Pub in Bognor found for several pints of liquid recovery product and bonhomie.

Finally we took the route home. Train to Victoria for Peter and me, him to Paddington, me the ride to Morden in very hot conditions, a shower and a cuppa.

Bugger Bognor? It nearly buggered me that's for sure.

Postscript: There were far fewer Bromptons on this ride. 3 in total. Mr Orange, Annie and David all sporting big wheeled bikes. I understand why now. For me it's not so much the distance or the extra work, but it's the paucity of the road surfaces which is making long rides on small wheels unpleasant now in the UK. This ride seemed atrocious. As we later discussed, a big wheeler is just more comfortable and relaxing ... I agree wholeheartedly. Sad. There's joy in a squadron of clown bikes in perfect formation. But it's a big wheeler for me next time too.

*Descents - I have finally witnessed the descending prowess of @User13710 on her new little bike. Awesome! Pebble hill taken at an alarming rate and whilst as hard as I could I tried to keep with her off Bury Hill it was an impossible task. What's more her first ascent of Bury Hill too! Chapeau TMN! I only wished I'd recorded the victory celebration :-)

Style - is not @topcat1 the coolest dressed dude on a bicycle?

Thanks again FD for another great ride.
Warm night, eerie blue lights illuminating Epsom racecourse with view of red lights behind, the disgusting proliferation of shell-less terrestrial gastropod molluscs, TECS going AWOL (!!!) plus the usual FNR wonderfulness.
Kudos to TMN (as now mentioned above) and to FNR virgin Sal, who went for a 'refreshing ' swim by the Lobster Pot.

Style - is not @topcat1 the coolest dressed dude on a bicycle?
Without doubt.
local gent on a hybrid
The green Santos?

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
The green Santos?
Yep, and also another gent in non-cycling kit.
Sal was a great addition too.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Cracking night/morning. This week's (on leave) mileage had been a bit lower than usual- a combination of weather not suiting earlier in the week, still recovering from last week's severe sunburn, and armchair cycling. I was determined to make up for that somewhat today. What I didn't do was ride up. The forecast wind was south-southwesterly rather than southwesterly, so not quite optimal, and I was concerned about leaving myself too knackered to ride back into a headwind (all return train options on Southern...yeah, right....). A short run in a NE direction in the morning reinforced that thinking- not that hard work, but not exactly flying along either. With the benefits of hindsight, neither the wind when heading down to Bognor nor the ride along the coast were that bad- or bad at all, frankly. However, with another 75-100 miles depleting the tank it might have been a bit different. And the wind might easily have shifted direction and strength a bit unhelpfully. Ho hum.

As it was, I opted to get the last fast train into Waterloo (£9 advance fare!!!- not usually an option, and it's £16 on the Southampton line anyway) before making my way over to Victoria for the pre-ride meet up. Well done to whoever lit up Parliament in the tricolore. I was first there, perhaps unsurprisingly, and plenty of time for a cup of tea and a bit of flapjack before going over to HPC and a somewhat smaller than expected gathering. With, as @TimO has noted, nothing of note in the way of mechanicals, early pace was positively stratospheric (and the second half was even faster). The TECs did attempt to hold us up a bit by managing to leave @Eddie_C at a junction, shades of Llantwit Major there, ensuring everyone got a break on the scenic Morden Road…

The climb up to Epsom had the reward of a rather fantastic long-distance view of the smoke, before we carried on speeding to Faygate. Speeding so much that the front of the ride (in the form of, I think a first, me!) made it to the Cabin at 3.45, a full half hour before we were expected. Mark's mum was getting ready on her own so we had a bit of an outdoor break before she invited us in. Cheese and pickle doorstop, bread pudding and two cups of tea recharged the batteries as effectively as always before we charged onwards through Horsham and on towards no-one's favourite climb. The TECs managed to miss a waymarker, thus enforcing another break for most of us and an intercept course alteration for them. In the absence of the need to lift bikes over stiles, I'd opted for the Litespeed over the Viner, and those fat tyres were a definite plus on all the grotty road surfaces, not least Bury Hill. 3rd fastest time up there, though it didn't feel like it (fortunately, neither did the chipseal...)

We were in Felpham by about 8.45 (well, I was) and the Lobster Pot food and service was immaculate as usual. Big breakfast replenished one set of calories, and the Victoria sponge loaded them up again. At 9.45 or so I was ready to go, having thoroughly plastered exposed skin with the factor 50. 70 miles on the clock so far. It's usually about 25 miles back home. On occasion I've settled for that, but this was not one of those occasions. Instead of my normal route west, I went up the A259 for a bit before going north on the A29 to Westergate and joining my preferred route back into Chichester. On the other side of the city, back south to Fishbourne and rejoining the A259. Back on Portsea Island, I would still have been a mile or two short of the ton had I gone straight home, so another little loop back to put that right. 100.7 miles done, back home at 12.30 or so. And after the nap, up in time for Cav's stage win. SMRbtH completed by at least one person!

Thanks @Flying Dodo for a job well done, my fellow little helpers & everyone else.

Same time next week? :smile:

Last edited:
Top Bottom