FNRttC Friday Night Ride to Bognor - Friday 15th July

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Form done i'm in for this
Do Love a Bridge Crossing

Yet I don't like the bridge crossing and walking. I would much prefer to climb Bury Hill.

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
Me too but that means we have to go that way from a long distance out.

Not necessarily. My fall back routing in case of flooding around the Gurkha bridge, is after Amberley Station, instead of turning left down Stoke Road, carrying on for ½ mile to Houghton, turning right to go to Bury, and then left onto the A29, heading immediately up the hill. It only means a small amount of doubling back.

Yet I don't like the bridge crossing and walking. I would much prefer to climb Bury Hill.
Me too. I find the novelty of bridge walking wears off quickly.

Not necessarily. My fall back routing in case of flooding around the Gurkha bridge, is after Amberley Station, instead of turning left down Stoke Road, carrying on for ½ mile to Houghton, turning right to go to Bury, and then left onto the A29, heading immediately up the hill. It only means a small amount of doubling back.
I was going to suggest exactly this. Our squadron leader (new title for this ride is ??) has all eventualities covered.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
But if you don't go via the bridge you miss the (admittedly remote) possibility of a glimpse of Joanna Lumley flitting around the woods.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
I'm pretty sure I only just missed a glimpse of her on our last jaunt down there.

Always thought highly of her, if only because her mum had an affair with a great mountaineer and explorer Eric Shipton, who in turn did a lot of Himalayan stuff with Bill Tilman, who in turn was the senior officer to a Special Operations Executive officer in Yugoslavia in WW2 who was the father of my wife's best friend at school. So, you see, we're almost family.

Although since the Garden Bridge debacle I have decided she is probably an over-privileged airhead and certainly not worthy of donning a Fridays shirt.

But if you don't go via the bridge you miss the (admittedly remote) possibility of a glimpse of Joanna Lumley flitting around the woods.
Something I'd gladly miss, thank you. Remotely or otherwise.

she is probably an over-privileged airhead and certainly not worthy of donning a Fridays shirt.
This^^

hatler

Guru
I've only done this ride the once but I rather enjoyed the walk across the field. I think it adds to the charm of the Fridays rides. For a newbie, having something a little out of the ordinary is all part of the fun.

(I was always trying to persuade Simon to take a little deviation off Streat Lane on the Brighton ride which would have involved a 400 yard stretch of slightly lumpy off road.)

Last edited:

StuartG

slower but further
That field, or the fences thereof, reminded me that steel framed bicycles are very efficient at conducting electricity. More alarming than an alarm at 6am ...

Top Bottom