FNRttC Friday Night Ride to Bognor - Friday 15th July

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
Would Epsom to the top of Box Hill and down to the A24 bypass the roadworks at Micky Bends?

No, as that would involve a long stretch heading away from Faygate.

hatler

Guru
The SCC website suggests the cycle track will be open.

https://www.surreycc.gov.uk/roads-a...works-in-my-area/a24-mickleham-bypass-dorking

Mind you that's not the same as actually talking to the contractor, so I'll stop teaching grandmother to suck eggs.
I've used that path a couple of times and it is absolutely fine. In fact (and I can't quite believe I am saying this) it is preferable to the road, though that's mainly due to the woefully poor surface of the road.

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Mickleham bends: The nearby cycle track referred to by SCC is most likely the one adjacent to the northbound carriageway. I've used that without problems during the road closures in the last fortnight.

On an unhappy note, I've been press-ganged into some other work on Sat morning so I might have to skip Felpham after all or do some kind of earlier solo effort.

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
I've used that path a couple of times and it is absolutely fine. In fact (and I can't quite believe I am saying this) it is preferable to the road, though that's mainly due to the woefully poor surface of the road.

At the top of the hill, it's a narrow 1m wide rutted cycle lane with a 2m wide stretch of hatchings and then the lane for traffic. The condition of the cycle lane does improve as you drop down, but if you veer onto the hatchings, you get bounced around, and at speed it can be hard to stick within the lane. Realistically I expect they'll have their vehicles on the hatchings as a minimum and so would not be safe to use, especially as any diversion means a massive detour.

When we went down it last week, they'd only been resurfacing the traffic lane, but once it's finished, it will be lovely, as the main road is great for cycling on as it's rare to get any cars in the small hours.

Yes, we could use the separate lane on the other side, but I'd prefer not to, as it's not as good as being on the road, and I run enough Sustrans rides as it is!

Last edited:

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
Steel yourselves for this. If the weather forecast looks favourable, I will be on a big bike for this ride.

There was I thinking I hadn't done a Fridays ride on the Brompton for a good 18 months....

Tim Hall

Re the A24, Surrey Highways have confirmed what the warning sign indicated to us last week. The road will be closed higher up, way before the cycle lanes start, from just past Leatherhead Hospital.

I have a cunning (and scenic) diversion plan.
Is that scenic, or Scenic?

Top Bottom