FNRttC Friday Night Ride to......Brighton on Friday 17th June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
U

User482

I cycled past the Madeira café on Tuesday - it looked like they could do with some business.

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
The FNRttC - supporting the small businesses of the UK!

Along with InBev, SABMiller etc etc.

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
Ah yes...... That's when I learned not to take my left hand off the handlebars in order to twist with some force my right hand light when descending at speed. As I discovered it meant the bike leans over, causing the right hand shifter to dig into the verge making the bike come to a rapid halt, resulting in me suddenly being on my feet rather than on a bike.

Tim Hall

No alleged about it, I witnessed the whole sorry affair. The highlight was the bit where an estate car taxi drove past said person as they trudged disconsolately up the hill.
I can't help feeling that some ellipses would add to the telling of your story...

DaveJ

Über Member
P1010032.JPG

October 2006

U

User10571

Ooo, go on. Name names !!
Oh! Go on then...
27102563446_16b4a88c90_b.jpg

1. On bagpipes, Pete. The Astronomer. From somewhere in Sussex. Conspicuous by his lack of beany hat.
2. Singing a capella, I don't know her name, but she was part of the Dutch contingent.
3. Currently offering circular breathing onna digereedoo from somewhere in the Antipodes is Adamski.
4. I thought that might be Dave Tapsell, aka Caradoc or Cobblemonster - depending on which forum you look.... but now I'm not so sure....
5. On the chaise longue is Michael, or Nuttycyclist from the other place.
6. No idea. I fear this could be another of the Dutch contingent.
7. Arthur. The only instrument he bought with him on this occasion was his camera. How he ended up in the picture no one will ever know...
8. The outstanding Emily Chappell - in command of the entire symphony orchestra.
9. Nienke - She was tall then, and she remains tall now.
10. Not far behind her, the inimitable Charlotte - can I call her Lottie? (if you hear nothing further from me, take it that it was a bad idea and I am now under a patio).
11. Another astronomer, and my neighbour, PaulR, Paulride or Ludd - depending on which forum you are looking at. On the occasion of this performance he was very relaxed on marimba.
12. I cannot identify this musician - I think he may've been an associate of Adamski.
13. Needing no introduction, His Leggship, genuflecting like this was some sort of Papal visit. Quite unnecessary, but as he was calling all the tunes, no one will question him.
14. Wing Commander Bell, aka Adam, aka Flying Dodo. Bringing up the rear on slide trombone.
15. Id, or Ed depending on your hearing, formerly The Evil Kiwi in the other place, adding subtle touches with the triangle.

Last edited by a moderator:

hatler

Guru
Cool. Thanks for that.

I saw Pete cycling down Streat Lane one Sunday on our way back from the van. He lived somewhere in pretty close striking distance.
Of the others, I know/have met Adamski, Lottie (I'll be joining you under the patio), His Leggship, Adam and Id (I shared my remaining malt loaf with him after the Hilly 50 one time).

It's very possible that I have been on a ride with any number of the others, but at 10 years distance it's hardly surprising I can't recall precise details.

I do distinctly recall waiting in the centre of Ditchling on the very first time I joined up, and collaring the first rider through and asking him if he was Simon. It was Naggers. Didn't he work for London Underground ?

U

User10571

Cool. Thanks for that.

I saw Pete cycling down Streat Lane one Sunday on our way back from the van. He lived somewhere in pretty close striking distance.
Of the others, I know/have met Adamski, Lottie (I'll be joining you under the patio), His Leggship, Adam and Id (I shared my remaining malt loaf with him after the Hilly 50 one time).

It's very possible that I have been on a ride with any number of the others, but at 10 years distance it's hardly surprising I can't recall precise details.

I do distinctly recall waiting in the centre of Ditchling on the very first time I joined up, and collaring the first rider through and asking him if he was Simon. It was Naggers. Didn't he work for London Underground ?
Naggers did / does? work for LU - I think I've only ever done one ride with him and that may've been a Cheam & Morden Silly Hilly 50.

kimble

Veteran
Damn and blast! I've just realised this is the weekend of the York Rally. I shall have to leave conquering Ditchling Beacon on a Brompton for some other time.

PaulRide

Always at opposition
Naggers did / does? work for LU - I think I've only ever done one ride with him and that may've been a Cheam & Morden Silly Hilly 50.

I remember Naggers joining us belatedly on the rolling thunder ride to West Wittering - he'd been working at Aldgate and couldn't get to HPC for the start, so hurtled down to join us as we started the motorway-style A3 stretch.

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer
New route successfully recced today.

So as a heads-up, the Brighton ride doesn't go along Lonesome Lane, nor do we go up Portnalls Road, as there's a more picturesque alternative which isn't as steep, and only has 60% of the total climbing. We don't go down Reigate Hill either. There are some lovely fast downhills though. Also, Ditchling Beacon is all smooth tarmac.

Bear in mind, especially due to Ditchling, that the Brighton ride has more overall climbing than the Shoreham ride.

Top Bottom