FNRttC Friday Night Ride to......Brighton on Friday 17th June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

hatler

Guru
Yup. The road up to Ditchling Beacon (Ditchling Bostall according to Google Maps) is in fantastic condition.

In other news, I'm angling for an alternative provider of coffee, but it's a bit of a long shot. Also, at slightly shorter odds, is the chance that little miss hatler might be able to join us for the Ditchling > Brighton stretch.

TimO

Guru
There may be a lot of people travelling with bikes from Brighton on Saturday, going up to London for the BHF L2B. This probably won't involve complete restrictions but might mean there is a queueing arrangement in place.

Hmm, that probably means an early departure from Brighton may be preferable to spending too long partaking of yellow and brown beers.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Thanks to @User for the research. There may well be even more Brompton riders than usual on this ride.

The number of Brompton riders on FNRttC is going up, and this is a bit of a worry for the TEC team.

We think in future Brompton riders need to bring at least one inner tube for their bike and to ensure they know how to remove the wheels, inc the rear one obvs, and possess the necessary spanners to get the wheels off. They should not rely on the TEC team knowing the intricacies of Brompton wheels and having the right tools.

The TECs usually don't have a Brompton spanner and have usually never removed a Brompton rear wheel. Riders such as @AKA Bob are experienced but usually not on the TEC team.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Thanks to @User for the research. There may well be even more Brompton riders than usual on this ride.

The number of Brompton riders on FNRttC is going up, and this is a bit of a worry for the TEC team.

We think in future Brompton riders need to bring at least one inner tube for their bike and to ensure they know how to remove the wheels, inc the rear one obvs, and possess the necessary spanners to get the wheels off. They should not rely on the TEC team knowing the intricacies of Brompton wheels and having the right tools.

The TECs usually don't have a Brompton spanner and have usually never removed a Brompton rear wheel. Riders such as @AKA Bob are experienced but usually not on the TEC team.
IME of rides with the London Brompton Club (of which there are generally a few regulars on every FNRttC) are pretty clued up on all things Brommified. But that's no reason not to ask the question. Many of us on regular bikes are also Brom riders. I agree they are an extra faff but not hugely complicated.
I'm on the LBC forum and can pose the issue if you wish.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
You could explain that everyone who pitches up on a clown bike has to be there by 11:40 and then has to replace their rear inner tube, and be ready to go, by 11:55, whilst being assessed by Titus for style and efficiency. I expect everyone will agree that this is perfectly reasonable.
Apart from the small and smug contingent who will merely say "Marathon plus".

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
I think the number of Bromptons have probably peaked as they all seem to thankfully following mine and @redfalo lead in embracing big wheels. Most of the Brompton riders are pretty competent at sorting punctures but just due to there extra worked required take longer to sort out combined with tiredness and darkness so no need to raise it directly on LBC Facebook page.

Tim Hall

You could explain that everyone who pitches up on a clown bike has to be there by 11:40 and then has to replace their rear inner tube, and be ready to go, by 11:55, whilst being assessed by Titus for style and efficiency. I expect everyone will agree that this is perfectly reasonable.

Edit. I really ought to make it clear, just in case it is necessary, that I am not entirely serious here.
Is "style and efficiency" a magazine, or am I misremembering again?

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life

I'll be out of the country on that weekend. But regarding Brompton Tec's, why not have a word with the London Brompton Club and ask them to name a specific Brompton TEC?

mmmmartin

Random geezer
All well and good, @Dogtrousers but where will you be when the back of the encounters a Brompton problem? If you are at the front how can we call you to the back of the ride? There's more to this than meets the eye

mmmmartin

Random geezer
I'm thinking more of the need for the correct spanners and all that disconnecting the Sturmey Archer gears while 120 disconsolate riders wait in the rain and mutter into their beards.

Top Bottom